***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Clutch ?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Fear454
INACTIVE Member Account

Clutch ?

Postby Fear454 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:42 am

So my car recently went to shop due to some body damage... But when I got it back the clutch felt different than what it felt like before. It may just be me from not driving it for almost 2 months, but now the clutch engages at the very top and if Im remembering right, it used to engage as soon as I started to release it. But for a 2010 with only 6000 miles Id think it shouldnt be engaging at the very top. So I was wondering if Im right in thinking this or is it just from not driving it in so long and thats what the hydraulic clutch should fell like in my car...

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Mine is fairly high up the peddle. So I am thinking it is normal. Bit hard to confirm without driving the car. I would check next time you get it serviced. But, if the car is driving OK and clutch is not slipping I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Fear454
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Fear454 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 pm

ok thanks lzy i actually took it in today to get it checked and they tried bleeding it just to make sure so it must just be me from not driving it in so long...

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Did you record you speedo when you took your car to be repaired?

I hope they did not drop the clutch a few times.

Ask the shop if they adjusted the clutch as they may have.

Fear454
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Fear454 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:27 am

well its a hydraulic clutch so you cant really adjust it but that's what i was thinking about when i first questioned them about it but they put about 43 miles on it and asked them who was driving it and wether someone who never drove a manual drove it at all... i made quite a noise about it haha but as i was quite angry about it they tried to bleed out the system as stated above and they said if it gets worse to bring it in and theyll check the clutch discs to see if they wore prematurely

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:37 am

hell over 40Miles what where they doing driveing to get there kid?

most mechanices i have seen, only drive it a mile or 2 as a test to see if everything is working. correctly, but 40 thats alot.

for them to drive your car for 40miles that would of been almost 30min on highway(pointless for testing clutch) or over an hour around town.(wanting to charge you more money for time taken)

(i first had it in Km's but noticed you where from US so i change to Miles lol)
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am

43 miles, I would not be happy!

The car went in for body damage only.

Some thing is not right there. I don't know your laws over there or authority to see to get a full explanation.

Don't let them get away with it. May be they are offering to fix the clutch because they know they did a dodgy.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:57 am

Some mechanics etc take a car home for the night to do a full road test. Not saying I agree with it, but that may be the reason why there is extra mileage on the car.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 pm

Is there a reason to test drive a car after body repairs?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:03 pm

I would think that it is part of their checklist.

Especially if they had to remove any mechanical or steering components. Also they would road test to check for rattles etc.

If it was just removal of a couple of dents etc I wouldn't think a road test would be required personally. Especially not the distance that was covered in this case.

Fear454
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Fear454 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:52 am

main reason there was so many miles is that they took it out after they were done and heard a rattle so they kept having to take it out to figure out what it was. have i bitched about it yes... its actually got me a free detailing there so guess something good came of it but my main thing was the clutch and thats why i was asking if anyone else had a newer car or a car with fewer miles on the clutch that could tell me what their clutch felt like as much as they could over the internet haha but after driving for a week im getting used to it but still not happy with it... think ill stop in there in again next week... haha

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 am

well iv had mine for over a year now and my cluch engages about halfway. my old car was 20Yrs old when i was using it, and it was like what you have explained, the cluch didnt grap till it was all the way out, making it very anoying to drive. i would think that as new as the car is, it wouldnt have that problem of the cluch engaging so late. so they have change something, it may have even just been the tension on the pedal. that has changed.

or you have premature wear on your cluch causing it ti slip till its almost fully engaged, but i would think you would hear it slipping.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

Fear454
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Fear454 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:04 am

yea its not slipping at all just whr its engaging and like u said its just annoying it feels like it doesnt shift as smooth as before

car_god
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby car_god » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:40 pm

look man, if you took it in for BODY repair...and there is 40miles on it and your clutch is feeling weird...add 1+1....they took it 4 a joy ride...they fu#kd yer clutch... u should always check your tyres aswell b4 u take it in 2 see if they did do burnouts...

Ask them why they drove yer car for 40miles and why the clutch feels funny, and just say there is alot of tyre wear from wen i picked it up..it will shake there boots if they did sumfin wrong...tell them, its a body repair you should only have to around the block 2 make shure no pannels are tweeking with each other..simple....who drove my car? where is he? i wana speak 2 him? simple as that man...n then tell the bloke off...im shure then they will fixx yer clutch (if its screwed)....how ever i have melted my clutch....and ive dumped a clutch masters fx300 and have never been happier...

Peanut
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Peanut » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 pm

There shouldnt have been that many miles put on the odo, i know here that if a car is in a smash repairers and needs mechanical work they have to get a mechanic in, i know cause i few times i have worked in a smashys shop on the floor not fun, so grill them the clutch shouldnt take up that high, there should be a certain amount of freeplay
Look Out! in The Shire!!
The Can Crusher, Tuckin' Rubber, Pancake Flat. - CCJ Premium Member #0022

bobcrusader wrote:
Blake, you must be a member of the fun police? Do you know my wife?

Return to “Maintenance”