***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CJ Starting Problem

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Rob_RA
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Rob_RA » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:28 pm

JesseVRX wrote:
Rob_RA wrote:Have also had, on a few occasions now, the radiator fan stay running after the ignition has been turned off. Only way to stop it is to restart the car then switch off again, otherwise it just keeps running??

The RA does that after you've been driving hard. It only runs for a couple mins then stops.

My brother was puzzled by it the first time too lol

Really? Temp gauge has never gone above half and I've let it run for a while (more than a couple of mins) and it has not turned off? Also mitsu had no idea.....

At least I know nothing is wrong if that's right :)

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:29 pm

RA fan does run on, it will eventually stop. Normally on hot days in stop/start traffic.

as for the issue at hand, have had it once before.... NRMA says "common" for ECU cars.
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=5335&highlight=
CJ RA. Stock!

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Had the same prob for the first time as i was leaving work this afternoon.
My car kept kicking over but wouldnt start had to wait a min or so then was ok. Ill have it looked at if it happens again :)

steve83
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby steve83 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:49 pm

This has started happening to me randomly since Easter. So far the only pattern I can think of is it always happens the first time I try to start the car for the day, sometimes first thing in the morning, sometimes late in the afternoon. What's worse is that on 2 occasions now the engine has died whilst traveling at 80km/h, but then will start again around 15 mins later.

Called the RACV today and he didn't know what the problem was as well. I suggested that maybe it was the fuel pump relay but he was certain that it wasn't.

About 3 weeks prior to it first happening, I installed LEDs on the grille, surely that wouldn't be the cause of it?

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Happened to our VRX when my wife took it to work like normal. Fine on the way there but had trouble starting on the way home were it wouldn't tick over.

Never happened to me ( on the odd occasion I drove it on the weekends ). I swapped smart keys without her knowing and the issue hasn't happened since. :D

Mitsubishi said there was no issue with the key, however, I changed the battery and turned it on manually... now it works fine...
Love that car!

coolwave911
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby coolwave911 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 am

Happens to me 2 times.....but again I could have accidentally flooded the engine :)

Zaffod.Beeblebrox
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Zaffod.Beeblebrox » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 pm

I just had a similar problem. Filled the car drove 100km not a fuel issue turned it washed it started OK. Next day went to start it almost started then nothing would turn over could here fuel pump but wouldn't start left it for 4 hours same result. I then called Mitsu service they had NRMA come he just cranked it over for upwards of 5 minutes eventually started. Obviously a lot of fuel in it looked like one a Dick Johnsons old Siera's. NRMA guy says it happens a lot with cars with variable cam timing? I would have thought the oil pressure would advance the cam and when it was off if would return base/starting position/ Any ideas? Bog stock Ralliart Hatch

Sir Lancer-lot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sir Lancer-lot » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:28 pm

My BA Falcon used to do this when I started it and moved a short distance, parked then tried a restart later...

in that car it's related to the auto-choke not getting the chance to retard given the short distance travelled...

May not be the same issue here tho'
2011 VRX Sportback - 2.4L - CVT - MMCS

Mitsi
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mitsi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Mine did this today while leaving work. Has happened before but I was on empty and parked on a slight hill so thought it might have had a little troubles pumping
2010 Lancer Ralliart <3

Tac89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tac89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:24 pm

This actually happened to me today as well. Hasn't happened in ages. I tried starting it straight away today for some reason, I normally just turn everything on then give it a few seconds.

princesskelsey
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby princesskelsey » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:52 pm

This has happened to me 3 times took it to Mitsubishi said that it never did it for them then has done it 2 times since then...

Return to “Maintenance”