***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What drop in panel filter

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

What drop in panel filter

Postby JaymeF12 » Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:29 pm

I recently got an evo x (Finally) and its bone stock and want to do some simple drop in mods (catback exhaust, air filter, maybe aftermarket BOV) but I'm struggling to figure out which panel filter, i've heard to stay away from the K&N filters as they lean the car out, ruin the MAF sensor if its the oiled filter.

I heard cosworth filters are good drop in ones, but i see AK Racing have their own and was wondering if it was any good as they have a strong reputation with Mitsubishis. Or are there any other filters that are recommended. (I see no need for CAI as id need a retune and theyre bloody expensive and only make sense for high KW applications)

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: What drop in panel filter

Postby adamhumphrey » Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:52 am

I had a k and n filter in my Evo X for years and it had zero issues. I also had it tuned with it and made 185kw on 98 octane. Then tuned on e85 for 225kw. I think to be honest the lean out would be rubbish as the panel is pretty much the same size. The car could cope with the extra airflow and adjust the mixtures. I probably have the filter still laying around here.

I currently have an AEM CAI on the car, it can be used with stock turbo and I dont think it requires a retune, I shopped around and found mine cheaper. When I fitted a larger turbo to the car I just upgraded the pipe going from turbo to air filter and made my own and kept the filter box and filter. I do notice AK Racing have these and could advise if a retune is needed.

https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/AEM-Induction-21-678C-Cold-Air-Intake-System-Gunmetal-Gray-EVO-X?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=19106093431&cq_con=&cq_term=&cq_med=pla&cq_plac=&cq_net=x&cq_plt=gp&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-ai0BhDPARIsAB6hmP58f3kgEwYq21pkjnnTKESnHKPCH2i3fuahogHe6DSXFM0hZl0OqnoaAhUrEALw_wcB
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JaymeF12 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:32 pm

adamhumphrey wrote:I had a k and n filter in my Evo X for years and it had zero issues. I also had it tuned with it and made 185kw on 98 octane. Then tuned on e85 for 225kw. I think to be honest the lean out would be rubbish as the panel is pretty much the same size. The car could cope with the extra airflow and adjust the mixtures. I probably have the filter still laying around here.

I currently have an AEM CAI on the car, it can be used with stock turbo and I dont think it requires a retune, I shopped around and found mine cheaper. When I fitted a larger turbo to the car I just upgraded the pipe going from turbo to air filter and made my own and kept the filter box and filter. I do notice AK Racing have these and could advise if a retune is needed.

https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/AEM-Induction-21-678C-Cold-Air-Intake-System-Gunmetal-Gray-EVO-X?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=19106093431&cq_con=&cq_term=&cq_med=pla&cq_plac=&cq_net=x&cq_plt=gp&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-ai0BhDPARIsAB6hmP58f3kgEwYq21pkjnnTKESnHKPCH2i3fuahogHe6DSXFM0hZl0OqnoaAhUrEALw_wcB

I thought drop ins didnt need any tuning, did you see anything weird the the K&N? did it give more induction noise like the turbo spooling noise?

Im pretty sure CAI do need a retune because increase surface area, changes in the vacuum lines and throws the MAF readings off a lot.. and they cost north of 800

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:01 am

Sorry, drop in don't need tunes. I just tuned as I had full exhaust, filter and high flow cat and gained about 20kw. K&N didnt really change induction noise etc as its a panel filter. The AEM CAI Im not sure if it needs a tune or not. Its still an enclosed box with a fairly stock looking intake pipe. I added the AEM when I was doing a turbo upgrade and other stuff and got tuned anyway
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JaymeF12 » Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:08 pm

adamhumphrey wrote:Sorry, drop in don't need tunes. I just tuned as I had full exhaust, filter and high flow cat and gained about 20kw. K&N didnt really change induction noise etc as its a panel filter. The AEM CAI Im not sure if it needs a tune or not. Its still an enclosed box with a fairly stock looking intake pipe. I added the AEM when I was doing a turbo upgrade and other stuff and got tuned anyway

Yeah I thought so. the RA i had did have a K&N panel filter and was able to hear the turbo spool much more. Seemed completely stock when i got it besides that. (It had a tune though with EBC) so i thought that was why. UICP and exhaust was all stock too so those wouldnt cause the noises to spool

I wouldn't risk buying a CAI without a tune, maybe if i bought one pre 2010 as their tunes were very rich from factory and the later models they leaned it out a bit more. But when i decide to do an full dump back exhaust i'll consider the AEM CAI.

What about upgrading the UICP from the standard rubber? would that really do anything for the noise?

Return to “Maintenance”