***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Air conditioning - possible problem

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JohnJohn
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Air conditioning - possible problem

Postby JohnJohn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm

The air cond in my 2010 ES Lancer isn't working properly. It's due for its 2 year 30,000 k service soon, so I'll get it looked at then, but until then I wonder if anyone has any idea what the problem might be.

The air it blows out isn't always properly cold, and the system is making gurgling sounds which are clearly audible inside the car. The aircon seems to work OK if it isn't hot (that is, the air produced is cold) but when it gets a bit warm it doesn't work properly.

I haven't checked the pollen filter, but I guess that needs replacing. But it surely couldn't be that all on its own?

So what do you reckon - does it need a regas, or is it something else, like the belt tension on the clutch mechanism?

Thanks in advance!

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 pm

At my 30,000km service they had to order in a new AC compressor and replace it after I complained about noises etc might be worth asking them about?

JohnJohn
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby JohnJohn » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Got the air checked at the recent service, which I had done some time ago now. The dealer booked it in for a regas, which had to be done on another day. This took 5 hours! Or, to be more correct, it probably took about 30 minutes but I waited for 5 hours...

Anyway, they reckoned it was low on gas plus had moisture in the system. The aircon works, but I'm not convinced it is working as well as it used to. I hope to Christ it isn't going to be an ongoing problem!

mzkizz
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby mzkizz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:16 am

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having the same problem with my 2010 CJ Lancer. It was "serviced" yesterday and I told them about the issue. $100 in labor costs later they ended up telling me that it could be freezing up. The exact opposite of what I was complaining about. I know what a freezing up AC is like, my old car (2002 Magna) had this problem and also the best AC I've ever had in a car.

They said to monitor it over a long drive, I asked if they were paying for the petrol for this.... Really not impressed with who I took it to but that's another story....

I've noticed that when I accelerate to overtake the air gets colder and the temps they recorded ranged from just over 1 to almost 10 degrees. Would it be worth it to take my car to a different dealership or someone else?

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:41 am

check air con high pressure and low pressure readings.
clean all the rads and inspect for damage of all the metal fins. if a large amount is clogged or bent it will affect the cooling performance. I believe there is a separate rad for the AC?

When overtaking your having more air pushed onto the surface which will cool it down considerably if it is having problems dispersing heat originally

the HVAC ECU is supposed to prevent the condenser from freezing...

I would strongly suggest taking it to someone who knows HVAC systems to get it professionally diagnosed.

Return to “Maintenance”