***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CJ Starting Problem

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

RodHarrison
INACTIVE Member Account

CJ Starting Problem

Postby RodHarrison » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:42 am

Hi. My CJ is just over a year old and has recently exhibited a strange starting problem. This has only happened once but I have heard that some other Mitsubishi models have had the same problem.

I had to move the car about 10 metres early in the morning and it started and ran fine but when my wife went to start it about 2 hours later it just sat there turning over but no sign of it firing. I tried turning off, getting out and locking it. Left it for about 2 mins but still no improvement.

At this point my old habits returned. Despite thinking that pumping the throttle would do no good at all I tried it and the engine finally staggered into life and ran fine after that. The problem has not returned since.

I suspect a software problem. Somewhere along the line the ECU has decided that the throttle plate does not need to be opened to start the motor. It was only me activating the throttle that woke it up

Has anyone else had this happen and if so do you know what is the cause. I haven't contacted Mitsubishi yet but intend to do so in the next few days.

Looking forward to any info members may have.

Regards,
Rod.
Adelaide South Australia.

chris851
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby chris851 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Mine did the same yesterday... turned the key, little shutter then nothing. tried and gain and held the key for 15 sec and it struggled for ages then started...

i don't know if it plays a part but my boost gauge reading have been dropping right down to nothing and the little waring light come on? just in normal traffic driving to work. all the vacuum lines seem connected.

Guess i will have to take it to the dealer.

don't know if to take the gauge out tho? warranty?

RodHarrison
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby RodHarrison » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Mine is dead stock 2 litre ES that has only done 25,000km. It's the first problem I've had with it. I don't think it was a jammed throttle plate as I'm pretty sure the throttle is "fly by wire" on this car so pushing the pedal would not force it free. I do think however that the ECU sensed me using the throttle pedal and suddenly realised it was supposed be opening it to start the motor.

Rod.

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:59 pm

This is purely speculation and a guess, but perhaps since you ran the engine for a few seconds to move the car and since te engine would have been running very rich to warm up and it was still cold when turned off; maybe the spark plugs got wet with fuel or heavily coated in rich unburnt carbon?

This used to happen with previous cars I've driven, so whenever I moved it, I left the engine on for a little bit before I moved it as to allow proper burn off and warm up.

Just an idea?
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

Surfero28
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Surfero28 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 pm

In our forum clublancer.es a lot of cars has the same problem whit the start only the DID motors...

may be because the heaters do not have time to do well.

so far there have not managed to find out it is, and many members have taken the car to the shop and tell them that the consistency is perfect ...

The truth is that some details are far from satisfactory for our fantastic lancers.

But hey you can not have everything right? hahaha

Greetings from Spain

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:47 am

I had this issue about a week ago. Just climbed into the car turned the key and it just kept turning over for about 5 seconds.

Let it sit for like 10 seconds and it started up normally...

It had never happend before and hasnt happend since. Be interesting to work out what it actually is...
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

mikec
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mikec » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 am

same ive had that happen to my car also
turned the key no ignition waited for a bit then tried again started normally
weird

AshOz85
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby AshOz85 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 pm

happened to me once about 3 months after purchasing the car brand new. But its never happened again.

RodHarrison
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby RodHarrison » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 pm

It hasn't happened since then. I did call Mitsubishi and they said they had not heard of this in a Lancer before but he did agree with me that it sounded like a software problem. He suggested that if it happens again to take it straight in for inspection. If not I'll remind them when it goes for its 30,000km service in a few weeks.

Rob_RA
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Rob_RA » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:06 pm

This has happened to me twice now since buying the car about four months ago? Both times the car had been driven to work approx 45mins, then went to start at the end of the day to go home and nothing?

Have also had, on a few occasions now, the radiator fan stay running after the ignition has been turned off. Only way to stop it is to restart the car then switch off again, otherwise it just keeps running??

Have had the car back at mitsu a number of times but they can't fault it??

JesseVRX
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JesseVRX » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Rob_RA wrote:Have also had, on a few occasions now, the radiator fan stay running after the ignition has been turned off. Only way to stop it is to restart the car then switch off again, otherwise it just keeps running??

The RA does that after you've been driving hard. It only runs for a couple mins then stops.

My brother was puzzled by it the first time too lol

Return to “Maintenance”