***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

45,000km service-what to expect?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

aznlancer08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

45,000km service-what to expect?

Postby aznlancer08 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Thought I should start a thread about the 45,000km service so that we can share our thoughts and discuss.

I rang two dealers this arvo: one in Burwood where I got my lancer from nd one closer to where I work in Traralgon.

The quote from Traralgon was $310, minus $50 if I bring in my own oil. The bloke said the service is pretty basic. An oil change and a few minor tasks. So I asked about fluid flushes and replacements and he said it's done every three years, add $85 to do that. Fair enough, my car is only 1.5 years old. So no need to perform the fluid flush.

Next I called Penfold mitsu and when I got the quote I nearly fell off my chair. Quote was $485!! Includes the fluid flushes though, which I don't need ATM.

Overall I think even if I got my lancer serviced from Traralgon the price is still a bit steep for an engine oil change. Not sure what other maintnance at 45,000km (hvent bothered looking at the car manual yet!) but it'll be likely that I will do the servicing myself!!!
If you see a blue lancer in Melbourne and it looks like a VRX, that'll be me!

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:57 pm

wow that is pretty expensive....

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:31 pm

I have capped price servicing. $198 every service. 8)

aznlancer08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby aznlancer08 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:35 pm

How do you get capped pricing? Does it include consumables?

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Dunno. Only done ~3000kms.

And I think all new lancer's have it. Part of the 'Diamond Advantage' thing. Its only for 2 years though.
So hah! :P

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:59 pm

FYI the brake fluid and coolant must be replaced at 45,000 OR 2 years whichever is first. So clearly the first dealer is smoking crack. Look it up in your service book, it's written in black and white. Remember, for your warranty to be valid you must service as per that book.

Also, there was a thread on the 45,000 service elsewhere that I quoted prices from 6 or so Mitsubishi dealers in Brisbane. prices varied by $50 or so but they basic figure was $420-$480 inc consumables.

45,000 service:

Oil and oil filter
Check air filter (replace if dirty)
Brake system flush
Cooling system flush
General check-over as per other services.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:FYI the brake fluid and coolant must be replaced at 45,000 OR 2 years whichever is first. So clearly the first dealer is smoking crack. Look it up in your service book, it's written in black and white. Remember, for your warranty to be valid you must service as per that book.

Also, there was a thread on the 45,000 service elsewhere that I quoted prices from 6 or so Mitsubishi dealers in Brisbane. prices varied by $50 or so but they basic figure was $420-$480 inc consumables.

45,000 service:

Oil and oil filter
Check air filter (replace if dirty)
Brake system flush
Cooling system flush
General check-over as per other services.

I believe you need to service your car depending on the driving conditions, not by the kilometres travelled.

If you have travelled mostly on highways then I do not see the need to replace your brake fluid. But if you have travelled where your braking constantly then the brake fluid should be replaced.

The brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years(check the life time of your fluid as some vary) regardless of the type of driving.

As for the price difference in quotes be careful. Some under quote to get your work.

Good luck!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:41 pm

For some items, it does say in harsher conditions to replace sooner.

However, brake fluid must be replaced every 2 years minimum as it is hygroscopic.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:53 pm

As per Adrian's list; $320 at Toowoomba Mitsubishi....

Still its a bullsh!t service price for what you get...

Alex.K
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Alex.K » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Mitsu dealer in Brighton VIC
says $495
Dandenong (Preston Motors) Mitsu said $420 if I remember it correctly
Lancer -> Accord Euro -> M3

Ricko
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ricko » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Mitsubishi dealers will rip you off.

I got a couple of prices around Adelaide today.

Australian Motors Morphett Vale $440
Southland Mitsubishi Edwardstown $350

I've got 40k on the clock and missed out my 37500 sevice. Southland told me to just wait another 5k, but Aus Motors told to do it ASAP.

I think Mitsi dealers that have plenty of sites and and are more well known names will charge more because they know people will go there as it is closer and easier.

I suggest everyone should shop around.

aznlancer08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby aznlancer08 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 pm

well today i finally got the chance to get my ride in for the 45000km service, but not at mitsu dealer. i went to my local ultra tune and the service was done to the logbook. the brake fluid flush and refill and engine coolant change was not necessary, the service tech said he had a handheld indicator for the brake fluid test and that the fluid is 'alright' so there was no need to change it. my car is only 1.5 years old i guess i'll prolly need to get the brake fluid changed at my next service then.

total price was $187

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:08 am

Good to hear. Getting it serviced outside mitsu is fine for the warranty?

We have a mechanic I trust a lot, might take it there for the minor services.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:10 am

aznlancer08 wrote:well today i finally got the chance to get my ride in for the 45000km service, but not at mitsu dealer. i went to my local ultra tune and the service was done to the logbook. the brake fluid flush and refill and engine coolant change was not necessary, the service tech said he had a handheld indicator for the brake fluid test and that the fluid is 'alright' so there was no need to change it. my car is only 1.5 years old i guess i'll prolly need to get the brake fluid changed at my next service then.

total price was $187

He didn't do it as per the log book then :roll:

It specifically states "24 months or maximum of 45,000kms" for both the coolant and brake fluid. So it should be changed regardless of what the bullshit-o-meter read.

Also, make sure he does a proper flush of both, LZY_EYE and I discovered with his they just syphoned the old fluid form the brake fluid reservoir and topped it up with new fluid. NEVER mix fluid types together (this applies to brake fluid and coolant).

Take it back, I would. You're risking your warranty.

Plugger
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Plugger » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 am

SIR-VRX is totally correct having been a Mechanic at Mitsu and Toyota i can vouch that if you want to maintain warrenty NEVER take it to Ultra Tune

they are infamous Australia wide for being dodgey and as SIR-VRX said they did not do a log book service.

with Warrenty matters they first submit a PWA (prior Work Approval) for items over say $100 or so

when that is submitted, (say the problem is a rear engine seal leak) the Warrenty clerks will submit all info, service history (they can look up if its been to any Mitsu dealship in Oz) get oil samples, what oil filter is on it etc.

in the end Mitsu (in this case) will say Yes or No, they can say what ever they want, even if you have a Master Tech working on it using only Genuine parts, if you dont have it serviced by and autherised dealer....you dont have a leg to stand on

thats why the Ultra Tune ads are bullshit, when they say it wont void ur warrenty

and also jsut because you dont get warrenty for one thing you may for another....its completley up to them

the dealerships have a say in it to, if Mitsu will pay them 8 hrs to remove the engine to do the seal and the Foreman thinks it might take 15 hrs....they will simply refuse

Return to “Maintenance”