***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

The CJ's competition

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

The CJ's competition

Postby Hoggy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 am

Ok being a newbie into Australia I don't know the car industry here as well as I do in the UK but thought it would be interesting to list the CJ's competition and how well it stands up to them.

The obvious is of course the Impreza, but it is also up against, the Honda Civic, Holden Astra, Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Toyota Corola. I think it is fair to say none of these are bad cars so WHY did we choose the CJ?

My answer comes down to its looks, I think it is a gorgeous looking car. I also have a soft spot for Mitsubishi after owning an FTO. The final clincher for me was the impressive level of spec, I landed a car with full leather, paddle shifters, touch screen DVD/Sat nav, excellent Rockford Fosgate sound system, climate control, cruise control, blue tooth the list goes on and all on the road for just over $30k. I bet these options alone on say a BMW would come to a large chunk of that $30k (in fact if I get some spare time I might go take a look)

Since buying the car I now appreciate the decent handling, well set out interior and its presence on the road. This model is a year old now and still it turns heads.

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 am

Ha ha check this out. Based on a BMW 320i exec, the optional extra's that closest match those got on the Olympic model are as follows:

18" alloys - $4,300
Metalic Paint - $1,700
leather - std
Loud speaker system - $2,550
8.8" colour monitor with navigation and TV - $6,750
Alarm - $1,000

That is an extra's list of $16,300 over half the price of my car. Crazy. OK a fairly pointless comparison as I am not comparing like for like but it does highlight the value for money the CJ is

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 am

I chose CJ for its looks, standard equipment list, safety features and overall value compared to similar models.

Impreza - overpriced for what they are, not very fuel efficient.

Honda Civic - ugly and overpriced.

Holden Astra - had one for work and it was extremely crap - interior cheap, sound system terrible, engine useless.

Ford Focus - I have a diesel one of these as a work car now, it's a champion vehicle and priced a couple of thou under a CJ VRX. Reasons for not getting one though were my fiance doesn't like the 6pd manual configuration, interior not as nice as CJ, exterior not as nice as CJ and it's a Ford!

Mazda 3 - only real competition to CJ. Almost had me, but the CJ looks and safety features won me over.

Toyota Corolla - over priced, old school engine, distinct lack of features by comparison.

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:59 am

Well i got my CJ because i wanted 1 ever since i saw the concept pics all that time ago.

Now im my opinion the Subaru is too... well..... old person car but teh AWD is nice, the rolla is too cheap looking/made for the price and small 1.8, the Civic is too granny spec unless you get the type r, which is too exp and dont look that good, the focus looks fugle and the Astra is opal and as such crap to work on in aus and replacements parts are exp. The only 1 i considered from the list was the mazda3, but it still does not have all the features that the ES lancer has.

That's my 2c worth, and yes i have test driven the rolla, mazda3, focus and civic.
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:05 am

I agree with you both. Only real competition is the Focus and the Mazda 3. Was very tempted with the Mazda, but with a new Mazda 2 and facelifted Mazda 6 the 3 must be up for replacement soon and I didn't want to buy a new car that will be replaced fairly soon.

Lancerlot
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Lancerlot » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:01 pm

The CJ is the best looking car on the road in its class.
its pure beauty...all the others are really very fugly.
My Lancer is my Trusty Steed.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Hoggy is right. And yes, the Mazda 3 is getting replaced VERY soon.

I chose the CJ becuase of the same reasons people are saying above. Looks, quality, equipment etc

Love that car!

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 am

The CJ has so many good things going for it.....its the best.

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 am

^ CJ could do with a revised pricing structure I'd say... ;)
Mah Ride: 2006 Hyundai Getz + 08 Lancer Bodykit

Shadows
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby Shadows » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 am

Mitsubishi lancer are born to racing. you have veriety range of option accessories racing kits etc to enjoy with all type of modification. where mazda 3 you don't have too much choice. beside driving the car ????
Image[flash width=600 height=200 loop=false]http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/X-Factordesign/E-MailBanner.swf[/flash]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 am

Phoenix wrote:^ CJ could do with a revised pricing structure I'd say... ;)

What do you mean exactly? Do you think it is over-priced?

In my opinion, the equipment you get for the money makes it good value for money. The value for money gets greater as you move up in the range I find. The gear on the VRX is well ahead of the competition.

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:19 am

I think Mitsubishi have been very smart in positioning this car. It seems to fill a niche as is bigger than many of its competitors, big enough to tempt Falcon/Comodore owners to consider, would have been even more successful had fuel prices not tumbled.

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:23 pm

I've been a Mitsubishi fan for years and owned/driven many different models.
Overall the CJ has the looks/performance and equipment levels that make driving it a pleasure.
On a recent trip to Ballina I got my VRX down to 6.1 litres/100KM! now that's pretty impressive economy I think.
The styling of the CJ is what really got me in - They are a sexy looking beast!!
Cheers - Chris(mizta_b).
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

edge
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby edge » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:37 am

mizta_b wrote:I've been a Mitsubishi fan for years and owned/driven many different models.
Overall the CJ has the looks/performance and equipment levels that make driving it a pleasure.
On a recent trip to Ballina I got my VRX down to 6.1 litres/100KM! now that's pretty impressive economy I think.
The styling of the CJ is what really got me in - They are a sexy looking beast!!
Cheers - Chris(mizta_b).

how can you get 6.1 for the lancer vrx?.. :shock: ...i like the lancer is because their features and the look..the corolla is bullshit, it's so over priced and ridiculously shit made....and i've ask some people that bought the corolla assent, they tell me the corolla assent is good because when your car fly into the sea you can open the window from the back...but im not very sure about the CVT gear box on the lancer tho..it feels like it kills heaps of the power form the engine... :? ..but after all it's a very good car..=D

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:05 pm

used to own a mazda 3 SP23 when i was on my p's.. was a good fun zippy car :)

Return to “General Talk”