***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Speed Camera's

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Zac6221
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Speed Camera's

Postby Zac6221 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey Fella's,

As you know I only recently got my car and have started driving to work -
Blacktown to North Sydney

and I seem to know all the speed camera locations.

I'm not your typical P-plate hoon and try to stick to the limit at all times but sometimes I may go over by a few k's.

My question is - do speed camera's have a tolerance or limit before they flash you, I heard it may be 10% in NSW or 2-3kmph.

1. Is it true manufacturers allow the speedo to show a slightly faster speed then what you are travelling.

2. If it is your 1st offense and you haven't gone over by much, any chance for a warning.

3. If convicted do my premium's go up? I already pay $1400 for comprehensive so any more will kill me.

4. last but not least
( Seeing as my folks have never done anything wrong in 20yrs can I pin the offense on them and get away with it :)

Thanks guys

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Yes, speed cameras have a 10% tolerance.
1) yes, the Mitsu speedo is a little off. Try setting cruise control, and switching the screen to the one showing average speed, and then holding down 'INFO' until the screen resets. the diff between the electronic and 'needle' speedo is about 5kmp.
2) My first offense was 6 days after i got my license. I'd say no.
3) Premiums go up IF you have your license suspended or disqualified. A simple speeding ticket won;t really have an effect.
4) thats completely up to your folks. all they have to do is sign the statutory declaration. I've never asked my folks to do this, and never will. If I did it, I take the beat.

No worries, Josh.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Tue May 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Pretty sure speed cameras don't have a 10% tolerance. Cops with radars generally give 10% tolerance.

Speed cameras is something like 2-3%, IF that.

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Tue May 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Speed cameras as far as I know have a tolerance... but that is because they NEED it, because they MAY be inaccurate.

They need to allow you to be going 103, for eg. because they can actually be reading 103 when you're only going 101 or 100 - so if they "snapped" you for going 103 they would be incorrect.

Ie. - u may go past one speedcamera and get flashed going 105 because it thinks your actually going 105, but NOT get snapped by another in a different setup even though your going 105, because it only thinks your going 103 say... (which is in it's tolerance)
^Pretty sure on all this anyways......

1. The speedo is aimed to be showing slightly faster than your actual speed. The reason for this is that if they set ALL cars to try and show the exact speed, ALL cars are slightly different and will actually read a little higher or lower depending on wheel size / inflation and MUCH more....
BUT it's only aimed that way. If your car has done a few k's, u've wacked 19" 's on it etc. there's always a slight chance you'll read UNDER and think you're going 100 when ur going 103 (use a speed-check point if ur curious I guess?) For most it will read slighly higher though, if not near-perfect

2. U don't get a warning with speed cameras (u can only bargain with cops/radar guns... speedcamera's either they got u and ur fined or they didn't)

3. It'll depend on your insurer. they don't mind you asking - I always call before I make any changes to my car and get a new quote with the new part on BEFORE I make any changes.
You can always ask, doesn't mean they're going to go "oh, why, thinking of speeding are we? ur premiums are going up kiddo!" lol :-) (how lucky they don't do that!)

4. I've pinned like 4 points on my mum (in one hit, I had like 11- lol) and it was easy as BUT it was a company car and we both work for the same company... (Note - obviously this can only be done with SPEED CAMERAS, as a cop will take your drivers liscence etc.
U have to fill in a part of the speed-fine form that says "it wasn't me it was..."
U could try and say it was ur old man maybe, they do have a photo - so if they see an obvious male and u say it was ur mum they MAY call u up on it...

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Tue May 12, 2009 6:17 pm

oh hey... anyone want a few demerit points.... I think I actually got flashed today.... I can't give up driving my CJ :'-(

Zac6221
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Zac6221 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks fella's,

I hate how we are so strict with laws here - I've been to Thailand and asia where speeding is the norm.

Trust me when I say that having more linient rules actually work better.
Their crash/death rate is much lower then what we have here.

I agree with this article that says more driver skills are needed.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/30280/germa ... r-culture/

Dummer

Re: Speed Camera's

Postby Dummer » Tue May 12, 2009 7:06 pm

LIDAR (hand held units) and fixed speed cameras are very accurate. Highway patrol will generally give you a pretty reasonable margin as they cant be bothered writing out small tickets. Cameras will happily snap you with a very low (few kms) error margin allowed for.

1. Yes ADRs state that new car speedos cant read lower than the actual speed you are going, so they tend to make them read slightly higher so as to make sure they stay within the ADR!

2. Only if the offence is minor (less than 30km over) and you've had a clean record for atleast 10 years, you can right away and they may waive the camera ticket.

3. Few minor traffic tickets shouldn't make a difference.

4. If they sign the stat dec and they have had a good record for 10 years at least and the offense is only minor then yes you can do it, but it is not legal if the authorities learn that you were actually the driver!!

Zac6221
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Zac6221 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:10 pm

As always Ryan is the man with the knowhow!

Cheers

Ravine
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ravine » Tue May 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Also warning to you.

If you're a Red P-Plater, remember that if you get caught speeding no matter how small the speed is over the limit, you're gonna get your license suspending.

Instant speeding suspensions for red p-platers.

If you're green, you'll lose 3 points if you're under 30km/hr over the limit...just make sure you don't get caught during double demerits like i did >_< 1 point left...

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Tue May 12, 2009 8:56 pm

I lost my red "P"s years ago for 5kms over the posted limit when a mobile radar got me
Guess the copper was having a bad night! :(
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

LAP_DANCER
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby LAP_DANCER » Wed May 13, 2009 10:01 am

i don't know relle if there the same in sydney but heres how it its down here in melb

1. apparently so.
2. dont think so but its not a heavy fine
3. nuh
4. bloddy oath :D
It's not how you Stand By your Car, Its how you race your car, you betta learn that,

Lap Dance is my metaphor, the way i drive "all of the boys and all of the girl are beggin to if you seek amy" LOL yeah ino ima tool

Return to “General Talk”