***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Insurance Question

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

taz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby taz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Doesnt matter about the situation - if you rear end somebody its always your fault - as said "failure to keep a safe distance".
Dont necessarily agree with that rule in certain situations but its a blanket rule they every time
GL with the settlement

seanomccool
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby seanomccool » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:18 am

This is an older topic but will benefit some others going through the same thing.

For minor damage like this, it really benefits both drivers to avoid going through insurance.

For the person:

1) At fault - they will likely pay a more accurate price for the damage that they caused. Insurance jobs for mechanics/panel beaters can get blown out, cos they know the insurance will pay it. Will retain any No Claim bonus they have.

2) Victim - they won't have to tell their insurance they they got into an accident. Some insurance providers will adjust your No Claim status even if you're not at fault.

The only time I would bother going to my insurer is if the damage caused was quite obviously going to be worth more than my excess.

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:15 pm

I would be careful private dealings. There have been situations when a private agreement was agreed though after repairs begin things begin to change... Damage bills rise etc.

Insurers will then wash their hands with you as you have agreed already to a settlement.

seanomccool
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby seanomccool » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:43 pm

This is also good advice. Ensure your private settlement is laid out in no uncertain terms and signed.

Return to “General Talk”