***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Anyone get any hail damage from the christmas thunderstorms?

Local Victorian State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Bags
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Bags » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Yeah it was definitely intense, leaking ceiling and 1 smashed window.
And I am house sitting!

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:13 pm

I love storms but it's not great seeing the amount of damage they can do. Comprehensive insurance is a must on newer cars.

Looks like Sydney will be in for some rain later tonight. Let's see how that turns out.

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Not tge lancer, but the mazda 6 ... Happened in the Hunter Valley first sunday in december. In to the shop on the 23 rd ofjanuary.

Paintkrss is the business, as long as the heat treatment is good. Matching paint on roof and bonnet without doing thewings and doors is a recipe for dodgy paint
CJ RA. Stock!

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:58 pm

@dannyboi your so right about having comprehensive insurance. I'm presuming if you have major mods done they will still cover you for hail damage?? Even though the mods would be irrelevant to the damage done caused by hail??

Bags
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Bags » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:01 am

Still over a 3 hr queue to get through to lodge a claim. I will try again this arvo !

rayray
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby rayray » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:50 am

Can anyone advise on the likelihood that an insurance claim for hail damage will be void due to undeclared mods?

I know in theory it doesnt sound likely as the mods had nothing to do with the hail damage but after doing a quick google search, read a situation where someone took their car in for hail damage assessment and the assessor saw the car was lowered (which was undeclared) and instantly voided the insurance. This has me a bit worried as none of mods are declared! And yes i could revert back to stock but its quite a hassle.

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 am

When i updated my policy with RACV when i got my RA they didnt ask for specific mods when I said the car had some stuff done to it. All they said was that as long as I had the car covered for an agreed value that includes the value of the mods then it should all be fine

China
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby China » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:40 am

No hail damage, car was parked undercover all day. My wife's VT got hammered - single garage, so only my car gets to live there. I have been looking at buying another car, probably a corolla (it's for the wife), so January should be a good time to buy (hail damaged vehicles).

I thought that insurance companies can only knock back a claim if your undeclared/unroadworthy mods contributed to the accident. Also, if your car is parked off the road (private property - like a driveway) and not being used at the time - how can they knock back the claim. Your mods whether roadworthy or not should not affect the claim, because you're not on public road (and it wasn't even turned on!) I can understand if they don't pay for undeclared mods, but not paying for hail damage because of your mods - those insurance companies are no better than the banks.

I'm done now!!

avolance
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby avolance » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:53 am

Sorry to hear about the damage Guys.
We didn't get any hail in West Gippsland, Melbourne must have copped it all.
I hope it can be fixed quickly.

I'm sure it's usually Sydney that gets those sort of storms, I can remember
it happening quite often.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 am

Michael, just be very careful when you are buying a hail damaged car, some of them can't be insured and they have to go through lots of testing after you have bought one. Not worth the hassle. Also, try not to buy one with structural damage (Can't really be repaired).
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

China
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby China » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks for the advice bruno, I thought that these damaged cars would be insured for much lesser value, I didn't know about the hassles of testing. Hopefully I can find one with little damage.

dowser
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby dowser » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi,

My 3 week old Lancer Activ sedan got hit when I was going to work just off the Eastern Freeway on Alexandra Parade.

Roof and bonnet covered with dents. The dents aren't that large, but noticable in the correct light. There are lots.

Was on hold for 90 minutes. Car being assessed in late Jan. It sucks that I had to pay the $500 excess now...

It will be interesting to see what the insurer does - repair or replace...

Dowser

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:35 pm

I've always wondered if they do REPLACE the car, can you pull things out of your current car?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Meaty
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Meaty » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:01 pm

from what you said, they will repair.
No reason to replace when its just light dents and paintless dent removal will fix it no worries for 1/50th the cost of replacing.

Return to “Victoria”