***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

3M Di-Noc Carbon Roof + Parts (More Photos)

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

EEV00L
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby EEV00L » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:07 pm

where did u buy the di-noc from

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 pm

I bought the Di-Noc from eBay seller "carbonfibervinyl":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT

Listed for $200, but I made an offer for $180 which was accepted.

If anything, I'd expect a darker colour roof to make a cabin slightly hotter. Realistically though I don't expect much difference. Apparently it's guaranteed for 4 years in direct sun, 10-12 years in shade/indoors, so should be good for a fair while I'd think.
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

Alex.K
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Alex.K » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:41 pm

I know this guy who sells di-noc near my house and he charges AUD80 per 1 metre.

I just found out that it's pretty good after buying 1m x 1.2m from him.

I should've bought more but I don't have much cash etc etc

anyway, could you give me any advice how to do the interior door handle area? I did one today and it's pretty bad.

Any tips will be appriciated thanks ;)
Lancer -> Accord Euro -> M3

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:12 pm

draevon wrote:Thanks guys ... I'll answer a few questions:

The CJ roof is pretty much smack on 4x5 feet. Di-Noc rolls are manufactured 122cm (just over 4 feet) wide. You need a little more length to allow for some overhang. I used 160cm length for the roof and wouldn't want to use much less. I used the remaining 80cm I bought to do the interior. I wanted to do the rear armrests as well but didn't have enough vinyl left over so will buy a little more later on.

As far as the difference between Di-Noc and Neffy ... As Blake said, Neffy is a fabric and needs to be used with contact adhesive. Neffy wrap is pretty stretchy, but must be held in place while the glue dries which can be annoying and time consuming. Di-Noc is self adhesive. It's stiffer to start with, but when it's heated if goes ultra soft and can be stretched to a huge extent. Heating also makes it ultra sticky, and basically if you can stretch it and get it to stick initially, within about 4 seconds it'll be set there. It cools even stiffer then it starts and really locks in place (it can be heated and goes soft over and over again). Di-Noc feels a lot more durable, both in it's ability to stick more permanently, and it just seems like a more solid product.

I wouldn't try to Neffywrap the steering switches, because I don't think it would stick nearly as well, it's thicker so would interfere with the bottons, and also because i think it would wear poorly with me constantly rubbing my thumbs on it.

Cost-wise Di-Noc is definately more expensive, but I did my roof and majority of my interior for $230 ... that's still pretty affordable for a high quality product.

With regard to doing the roof, it took about 4 hours start to finish. I only used heat for the last 1/3 of the roof, and if I was doing it again, I'd probably avoid using heat, because by making it more stretchy, I can now see tiny waves in the carbon pattern. Not huge but enough for me to notice. The edges were a bit trial and error. I decided not to take the weather strips off after breaking the first clip I tried, but I think it looks fine the way it's done. Seems to be on nice and solid and looks pretty permanent.

Will take some more pics of the roof and the edges tomorrow ... let me know if I've missed any questions.

I think the wave in the carbon pattern is a normal thing- everyone I've seen who has it looks great from not too close and in photos; but someone like me who would look really close would get very annoyed. But it's good to hear you only needed 2 pieces of the stuff (amazingly cheap at $230??) to do the whole roof.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Hey Alex .. I assume you've disassembled the door before attempting it yeah? Not a whole lot to it really. I did the flat area with the window switches first then stretched up over the rest. The handle part was definitely tricky ... I ended up cutting slits in the four corners to stop it from pulling up. With the dark carbon on black you can't really see it, and it looks heaps better than having loose vinyl. Post some pics or ask more specifically about your problems and I'll try and help more.

Jace, I spent the first hour stressing about the waves in the pattern. I'm pretty anal about stuff like that, but to be honest I've barely noticed since. Small price to pay for the benefit of the rest of it I think.

GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

Alex.K
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Alex.K » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:06 am

I just finished working on the main silver dash trim...
That was a big job. I wanted two more hands when i was already getting help from a friend.

Anyway, burnt all my fingers
and I didn't even get to finish the door handle bit.
I did one but i ripped a little around the edge where it's very visible so I just ripped off the whole thing

I'll post my pics soon.

Although I spent ages, I didn't really get satisfying results.

It's OKish. I can live with it YET. I have to wait until it's bright tmr
I've done bad job here and there.

And guess what

The main silver dash trim goes a little deeper than the stereo bit.
Nothing broke off or anything but it's very noticable.

I don't know what the hell's wrong with it...

since it's 3 in the morning I'll work on it another day.

It looks heaps heaps better than the original for sure.

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 am

Here's a timelapse of the first hour or so of my application, before I lost interest in the timelapse thing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DAa3OuPPKw

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 am

Alex there are little white clips which sit on the trims. Chances are they have come off and fallen in the dash. This will cause the trim to sink
a little.

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 am

Before you pull it all apart again Alex, take a look at this picture:

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/A/n/ag_08 ... terior.jpg

By design the trim doesn't sit flush under the stereo. I've looked at mine a few times thinking it was wrong cause there was a bit of an overlap, but it's probably just because you never looked as close before you wrapped the trim. Take a look at the picture attached, you can see the stereo overhangs a little. Annoying, but like that from the factory.

Alex.K
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Alex.K » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks guys

I checked out another lancer when i was out

i didn't really realise that before

I assumed it would be gapless

Anyway looking great with CF pattern inside ;)

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:30 am

Chuck some pics up dude :)

tunabeefchicken
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tunabeefchicken » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:51 am

I think I will be getting this done by Concord customs on my bonnet, roof and trunk :)

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:17 pm

I also decided to get mine done but gonna go to Carbon Demon since they've done some pretty good jobs and I've seen one of their customers cars in real life.

Only thing I'm debating whether to do just the roof, or roof + wing. Also tossing up between satin/matte black and CF > http://www.carbondemon.com.au/

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

bernardo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby bernardo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:13 am

Nice, I wonder how much professional labour costs ...

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:18 am

I have my vinyl for my my steering wheel parts coming carbon fibre look

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”