***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Lancer Bashed again

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Lancer Bashed again

Postby ofey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:55 pm

The Auto newspaper release bv the Herald Sun - Drive is reknowned for bashing the CJ Lancer.

Again today was no different:

Block busters
by Richard Blackburn

There are no bad cars here but the Mitsubishi is the first to dip out. While the extended warranty and ''more metal for the money'' are enticing, the end product lacks polish.

on the other hand:

The Cruze has, by far, the best engine and is fun to drive, although its auto is hazy and the cabin finish average.

Cruze's standout engine sees it pip the Hyundai's generous warranty and classy cabin, with the Corolla following narrowly behind. Factor in resale, fixed-price servicing, quality and reliability and the Toyota might end up being the better ownership experience, though.

*sigh*
Mitsu need to spend more money on its interiors.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:01 pm

but we all know the lancers are a nice car and Mitsubishi is a good Brand but agreed they need to do more work on the interior

CJS1337
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CJS1337 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:43 pm

I read the article too and am a little confused how the 1.4 litre turbocharged Holden Cruise engine was the best:

The 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine, which costs $1250 more than the base 1.8-litre unit, is worth every cent. It was easily the best engine on test.

I woulda thought that a 1.4 litre engine would be better suited on a large motorbike, not a mid-sized car! Unlike our powerful, reliable, robust Lancers backed by a massive warranty :D

the Lancer has the most power on tap and a generous five-year, 130,000-kilometre warranty (with a 10-year, non-transferable cover on the engine and transmission)

Maybe Mitsubishi could replace some of the cheaper interior plastics with that nice rubbery plastic stuff that's in the VW Golf and some other Euro cars. Otherwise, I love the look, style and where everything is placed. Would have a CJ Lancer over any of those other cars in that review.
Yeah I know, I'm biased... and slightly defensive of my baby too hehe :)

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun May 01, 2011 12:31 am

At the end of the day, different people prioritise different elements or characteristics of a vehicle.

That being said, I can definitely see their point of view here. For the average customer who doesn't care about drive or spirit, they care more about the interior and overall feel-good factor rather than the things you can't see (engineering, airbags, stability control) which can dip in the Mitsu's case especially when up against newer competition.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun May 01, 2011 12:32 am

CJS1337 wrote:I read the article too and am a little confused how the 1.4 litre turbocharged Holden Cruise engine was the best:

The 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine, which costs $1250 more than the base 1.8-litre unit, is worth every cent. It was easily the best engine on test.

I woulda thought that a 1.4 litre engine would be better suited on a large motorbike, not a mid-sized car! Unlike our powerful, reliable, robust Lancers backed by a massive warranty :D

Without driving it I don't think any of us can really comment on that- I'm assuming it's along the same lines as the newer VW engines which are downsized but turbocharged... and with the tune, give the car a more 'agile' feeling.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sun May 01, 2011 4:09 am

Reviews are written for people who don't know where to start and just view cars as transportation.

Essentially the opposite of all of us...

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun May 01, 2011 10:10 am

I do agree with the fact that the Lancer is the most spacious for it's class. It's almost as large as Japanese family sedans from 15 years ago.
I had needed a car which had reasonable space such that if I extended the driver's seat back, there was room for someone else behind me. The only car that made the cut was the Lancer.

I haven't really experienced the interiors of the other cars in great detail, but I'd say the Lancer isn't that bad actually. It's down-to-earth and straightforward. I actually like the hard plastics as it feels funky.

Also had a look at the Cruze when I was out for a car and the interior just freaked me out. There were knobs and gadgets here and there and was excessively complex.

Out of the cars reviewed, I'd go for the Mazda3 if it wasn't overpriced. The Lancer, to me, is what the Mazda3 should be like in terms of value for money.

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 am

I agree on the plastics etc as I came from a VW to the wife choosing the Lancer.

VW get 132kw out of their 1.4 twin charged engine, Ford moving to the Ecoboost engines for the Falcon, GM with the 1.4 turbo above, looks like small forced induction is the way forward...
Love that car!

Kyrus
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Kyrus » Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 am

Who ever said the cruise has a good engine would be barking mad...... but anyway, i love my lancers good bits (looks, value, space etc) and thinks that the bad bits gives it a bit of character. so what ever these idiots says dont matter to me.

but then how come the mazda 3 is not mentioned...
燒

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Sun May 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Well i think they feel compelled to back the Cruze, as Aus now has a bit of a vested interest in it. That said they seem like a fairly decent car, and i cant comment on the engine as i havent driven one. They did not mention one key factor - The CJ Lancer looks a million bucks on the outside :D
All bleeding stops eventually!

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun May 01, 2011 12:51 pm

The Cruze is a pretty decent car. The old 1.8 L engine was very underpowered, but this new 1.4 L turbo appears to have done the job.

Just for my needs, the rear space wasn't large enough.

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Sun May 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Find an aggressive yet stylish car as the lancer for <21k and i'm sold.

No other car in this price and size range offers that sports car look. To me the cruze is a semi-circle on wheels that one day wishes to grow into a commodore.

Corolla resembles an egg, literally.

Don't forget it's only you and a few others that see the interior, everyone see's that egg pulling out of the driveway.

Main point being that if interior is your selling point, you can change it drastically for under 2k. But putting a bodykit on an already atrocious car will send you back 3 decades.
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

Jprice2708
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jprice2708 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Envoke wrote:Find an aggressive yet stylish car as the lancer for <21k and i'm sold.

No other car in this price and size range offers that sports car look. To me the cruze is a semi-circle on wheels that one day wishes to grow into a commodore.

Corolla resembles an egg, literally.

Don't forget it's only you and a few others that see the interior, everyone see's that egg pulling out of the driveway.

Main point being that if interior is your selling point, you can change it drastically for under 2k. But putting a bodykit on an already atrocious car will send you back 3 decades.

X2 :) Also remember that little changes can make a big difference to the look and feel of a car - I decided to spray the silver interior highlights Mica Red to match the exterior while I had them out to do my stereo, and it changed the whole look of the interior. Cost me $10 for a can of paint and I'm stoked with the change :D
Never argue with an idiot - they will drag you down to their level, and beat you through experience...

CJS1337
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CJS1337 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:41 pm

@Envoke
How true! Love how you described the other cars... an egg & a semi-circle! Nice one :lol:

Also, when was the last time we saw a Holden Cruze or a Mazda 3 as a world rally car??? I definitely remember Mitsubishi Lancers being up there, and I suspect some of that technology would have found it's way into the CJ's we drive around today :wink:

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”