***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Best aftermarket DRL

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:45 pm

davmax wrote:I believe that I have explained enough. You need to accept that those creating the standards know what they are doing when they specify light intensity in candela.

yes i do love a good argument, especially a nice one like this no angryness, just simple discussion.

Anyway, i think i see where everything has gone astray, the Lighting standard, AS/NZS 1680, defines all luminaries are rated in lumens and light on a surface is measured in Lux

but you are referring to standards as in ADR's which are different, lights in cars are still rated in lumens BUT the ADR's also defines the perceived brightness, ie the candela.

davmax
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby davmax » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks Blakey for your inputs.

As the reading of a flux meter is proportional to candela I use it to assess the output of DRLs.

I have removed my explanation link because a reconstruct will make it clearer.

Putting aside all the relationship formulae the basics around light intensity are:
The Candela is the standard unit of measure of light source intensity (brightness) in one direction based on one candle power.
The Lumen is the total light flux and is calculated from the measurement of candela values across the surface of a sphere of fixed radius surrounding the the light source.
The Lux is an intensity measurement proportional to Candela falling on a surface. The eye or photometer sees in Lux which can then be translated into light source Candela
The eye does not see in Lumens.

On a related subject. Checked out Repco and they are selling a pitiful LED daylight product for $60.99. There is no way that it falls into the 400 -1200Cd range for DRLs. The manufacturer claims that it will reduce daylight accidents and quotes research claiming a 40% reduction in accidents. The instructions are a joke. States that connection can be to fog, position , indicator or brake lights. No mention that it should be to ignition line or that DRLs are OFF with headlights. No ADR approvals either. Think their buyer was not well informed on the subject.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 am

I have installed my DRLs - very happy with the brightness, not so much with the position. It's hard to get them 450mm off the ground on a passenger car. Mine are about 350 where they are now. The centres are about 550mm apart, which is just under the 600 requirement. Also, they are further than 400mm from the side of the car - so I will move them next weekend.

I went for a drive and no one flashed their lights at me or looked at the car strangely. It sure will be a bit weird being one of the fisrt non-factory PROPER DRL drivers around.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 am

davmax wrote:On a related subject. Checked out Repco and they are selling a pitiful LED daylight product for $60.99. There is no way that it falls into the 400 -1200Cd range for DRLs. The manufacturer claims that it will reduce daylight accidents and quotes research claiming a 40% reduction in accidents. The instructions are a joke. States that connection can be to fog, position , indicator or brake lights. No mention that it should be to ignition line or that DRLs are OFF with headlights. No ADR approvals either. Think their buyer was not well informed on the subject.

They should be withdrawn from sale!

Even the most up to date research suggests that DRL reduce day time accidents by at the most, 15% - which is still worthy of consideration.

If you are paying under $200 for 'DRL" the you aren't getting the real deal. In fact the Hellas are all over $300.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 am

the point of DRLs is to be visible at long distances during the daylight, so naturally with alot of ambient light you need them to appear very bright so that they stand out to other drivers.  Given this it makes more sense to focus the light into a 'tight' beam rather than just a big wide beam like headlights are.

So that Blakey is why the ADRs are specifying the candella requirements and not the lumens, remember the purpose of DRLs is to make other drivers notice you, not to light up the road with sheer lumens so that you see them.

Stick to arguments about bolting wires onto power poles, at least then you might know half a thing about what you're talking...

davmax
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby davmax » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Bandit . Good to hear of your success. For passenger vehicles you can go down to 250mm so you are fine in the height. I believe you have the Hellas from previous post.

We would like to hear from anybody who has fitted a pair of Chinese 4 or 5 LED (1 watt each) devices. Will be interesting to know if good instructions are supplied and if they get hot. Only way to measure the heat is with a infra red thermometer.

I see that a number of posts indicate understanding the difference between Lumens and Candela. For those that would like to learn more I have placed a document that will help online at: http://cid-f83bf1ac32452395.office.live ... htness.doc

I am still working on the Chinese, trying to extract good information. Guess I might have to buy a couple to test for compliance and operational temperature rise. Caution is needed, there are many fakes for sale around the world, certainly on eBay. Just Google "Fake USB flash drives" . It is possible that there will be fake claims for DRL approval.

Unfortunately there may be no compliance testing in Australia. I do not see an indication of this in the ADRs or UNECE 87
davmax. Retired Electronics Engineer

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 pm

davmax wrote:Bandit . Good to hear of your success. For passenger vehicles you can go down to 250mm so you are fine in the height. I believe you have the Hellas from previous post.

Really - 250mm? If that's the case I might leave them where they are then -although they are greater than 400mm from the edge of the vehicle, so I might move them - it would be about a two hour job.

I have used E11 marked 5x1.5W units, made by RING Automotive in the UK. The instructions were comprehensive and also referred you to individual country requirements.

The Hellas I mentioned previously will be used on my Lancer, in the place where the fog lights presently are.

davmax wrote:Unfortunately there may be no compliance testing in Australia. I do not see an indication of this in the ADRs or UNECE 87

I understood in my reading of ADR 76/00 that it relied on overseas testing?

On a side note - as promised, I took pictures of my DRL during the day - they are blindingly obvious to the naked eye, but for some reason, they are not really that bright in the digital camera photos - ...
ClubCJ's first Sportback

davmax
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby davmax » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Bandit.
Am I correct in understanding that this forum does not support picture uploads so that your install could be seen.

What did the Aurora lights from UK cost?

I guess that because there is no Aussie compliance centre the Eurocentric 23C temp test has not been picked up. I am chasing UNECE on this one.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 pm

hi davmax - we can upload photos no problem - actually I have uploaded mine to a 3rd party site and linked. I was just expressing that I was disappointed that the DRLs look nowhere near as bright in the pictures that they do in real life. Click on the pictures to make them bigger.

Without DRL on

With DRL on

DRL on up close

I will move them further out to the two 'cut outs' that you can see in the close up picture so that they are less than 400mm from the outer edges of the car.

They are Aurora by RING Automotive - http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product ... ?prod=2060 - I got them for about 80 Euros.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

davmax
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby davmax » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:29 am

The lights look bright enough compared with ambient light.

Remember the mention of LED life with operating temperature. Can you get access to a infra red thermometer? If so to measure the LED temp without power (ambient temp) and again after >20minutes of power. Point at LEDs and find the hottest temp. This will establish temperature rise. Example a 50C ambient temp means that a 30C rise is OK for cheaper Chinese LEDs or 60C is safe for quality Cree LEDs @ 1.5W.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm sorry I won't be able to get hold of one of those easily. The people at my work that use them are extremely prescious about them.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Bandit wrote:If you are paying under $200 for 'DRL" the you aren't getting the real deal. In fact the Hellas are all over $300.

Hey, where are you thinking of getting the Hella's from? Oz or overseas?

I had a squiz behind my fog covers & looks like this will be a viable option to adapt.

I've been looking at these as well, think they will work just as well at a lower price.

http://www.tuning-rdi.de/product_info.p ... ntudk48vae

ImageImageImage

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:46 pm

They are similar to the Hellas I was looking at - thanks for sending the link. I have contacted Hella and been given a list of distributors near me. I rang around, Burson's Auto were the cheapest at $307 delivered for Part 5607, the round units with 3 LEDs.

Nice find though - thse are UK E marked (E11) and have the required 'RL' notification on the lens.....
ClubCJ's first Sportback

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Sheesh $300+ is a bit steep for my budget.

Think I'll be making some inquiries on the ones I posted, hopefully can get a set < $200 into the country.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:04 am

Please let me know how you go with pricing - do you know if they are 90mm diameter? If you install where fog lights are now, would you keep that clear lense that is in front of the fog light in place or ditch it??
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Return to “Lighting”