***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

ChipTorque Information for Mitsubishi VRX Lancer

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jono
INACTIVE Member Account

ChipTorque Information for Mitsubishi VRX Lancer

Postby jono » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi Guys,
I have heard from many people its not worth messing with the ECU unless you already have some mods.

This is the response I got from chip torque.

"Jono,

We have seen the Mitsubishi 2.4L Mivec Lancer VRX’s and have seen no power gains for the cost to reflash the ECU for these vehicles. The cost to reflash this vehicle is $1000.00 for about a 3 to 4 kilowatt gain at the tyres. Moving the Mivec made no difference either in throttle response and torque. "
09 VRX Sportsback Hatch silver.

Stock
-Exhaust?

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Get the RPW tune for $70....pfft $1000, they can go jump!

I was talking to some people at a meet the other night - Getting the RPW tune, some kind of exhaust change (cat or something) an RA intake and panel filter works wonders.

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Thomas is 110% correct.

The flash tune, removing at least the rear muffler and replacing with a free flowing one as well as a new filter and intake does work for a significant improvement in acceleration and driveability in our NA cars.

$1000 for a tune only, they can jam it. even if they provided a new chip to physically put in your ecu that is a ripoff. I think the entire ECU box from Mitsu is approx 1300AUD.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

jono
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby jono » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:03 pm

heres an update

"The vehicle we did the initial testing on already had a cat back exhaust and an air filter change. I do not recall the power but I do remember that it did not make much power at all after reflashing it.

I believe the Mivec came in at about 3000 to 3500 rpm and changing this made no difference either. We where expecting some noticeable changes even adjusting the Mivec. However wherever we put the changeover for the Mivec it made no noticeable difference. "
09 VRX Sportsback Hatch silver.

Stock

-Exhaust?

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:14 am

Jono ... there's a whole lot of discussions about the RPW tune on here, and there's dyno charts on the RPW website that show significant gains. Fair enough if Chip Torque don't want your business, and if they're charging $1000, then they shouldn't get it anyway. Do your research on RPW. By far the best upgrade for the $$$ available for our cars. Dyno-proven. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here.
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

vincentchua
INACTIVE Member Account

$1000 tune a ripoff?

Postby vincentchua » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:55 am

Guys,

IMO $1000 for a CUSTOM tune is not a ripoff. If you're paying $70 for a generic email tune then that's fine but there is a big difference between a CUSTOM tune and and a one-size-fits-all flash tune.

Custom tunes by other tuning houses are considerably more - For example, go to MRT and ask them how much they charge for a tune.... you'll be unpleasantly surprised.

You are right though - its not worth it for your N/A cars to do a custom tune - you're better off doing other mods from a BFYB perspective. For us turbo guys however, that's a different story....

PS: I have my stock Ralliart lancer turbo kit for sale ion a month's time if anyone is interested.... PM me.
2008 Lancer Ralliart
Pipewerx Custom catback exhaust
Racing Dynamics 18x8" wheels
Chiptorque custom tune

----- Rice Rice baby! -----

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: $1000 tune a ripoff?

Postby tomtom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:21 pm

vincentchua wrote:Guys,

IMO $1000 for a CUSTOM tune is not a ripoff. If you're paying $70 for a generic email tune then that's fine but there is a big difference between a CUSTOM tune and and a one-size-fits-all flash tune.

Custom tunes by other tuning houses are considerably more - For example, go to MRT and ask them how much they charge for a tune.... you'll be unpleasantly surprised.

MRT are just plain expensive on everything, they dont count :P

As for the 'custom' tune; RPW offers to change the mapping if you get a dyno run done so the tune matches the car better based on mods. I think i saw mitsiman (sorry if name is wrong) say it was free the first time, and $10 more any other times they alter the maps.

IMO that is a custom tune...

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Mitsiman wrote:There is no need to specifically retune the vehicle, but if you have the chance to place the vehicle on the dyno, and do a power run, give us a copy of hte graph showing the AFR's and we can adjust the mapping specifically for your individual car as a service. We will do this as a once off only, changes there after would come at a cost of $10.00 per change.

Mitsiman
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Mitsiman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:12 am

I reckon Chiptorque have got ther emodels mixed up.
First thing is that on the new 2.0 / 2.4 mivecs, they don't run a mivec rpm switch based system. They run continuesly variable intake / exhaust cam timing.

I think Chiptorque are talking about the CG / CH 2.4 4G69 models which do have a 3000 rpm mivec switchover point and is currently being worked on to become flasheable.

But we have regulary used the haltech Minicepter units and they are correct, changing the mivec point makes no difference, but tuning resulted in large improvements in power. BUt saying that, we have always done extractors, exhaust and intake to get those gains.
For urgent replies to PM's contact via phone

Return to “Electrical”