***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

License Plate POLL -Middle or Side Mounted- You Decide?

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

License Plate: Middle or Side?

Middle
42%
Side
58%

Total votes: 65

blanka
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby blanka » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:19 pm

side ftw had it there long enough, no cops cared
Uchiha Itachi

qudans
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby qudans » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:48 pm

^ was yours mounted on the side evo style?

Lancerlot
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Lancerlot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:49 pm

the side looks the BEST!!!!!
My Lancer is my Trusty Steed.

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 am

Hey - anyone else got their car with the plates mounted in the middle and then want to move it to the side?

I want to move it to where tadzorz / blanka's / ozies plates are, but it's currently SCREWED into my bumper (for F###'s sake, can't they come up with a way to put on plates that doesn't involve drilling a hole in my bumper?)

So - I guess my question is - what's the best way to hide 2 screw holes through plastic and vinyl? best off taking the vinyl off and re-applying new vinyl to cover the holes perhaps?

I'm not gonna be moving it if there's gonna be 2 tell-tale holes in the front centre of my bumper...

And I think EVO style would b 1 step better, but not if I'm gonna get picked up for it... don't wanna drill holes for an EVO mount and then be told to take IT off - my bumper'd look like swiss cheese!

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:15 am

If you want the best result you'll need to fill the holes, and then re apply the vinyl.

If you want a really good job that means bogging the holes, sanding them back and using vinyl.

Personally I wasn't happy the vinyl itself and I'm getting mine completely painted next thursday. Sanded back, bogged holes and properly sprayed in satin/low sheen black.

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 am

yeah - the OEM vinyl? It doesn't go to the edges - wtf? who cuts them out? mr "accurate to within 10mm" ?
Was considering re-doing it properly anyways...

Thanks Dave ;-)

The satin black paint sounds like it'll look mint too - be sure to post pics when done ;-)

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 am

If you're NOT terribly bothered about the filling being flush *i.e. FLAT*, my suggestion is go to Bunnings and get the plastic pieces they use for the feet of stools or chairs. I've found that one of them fits the square hole and another fits the round screw hole perfectly and they only result in a small bump. Let me know if you have a problem finding it and I'll take a pic of it the next time I'm there... .

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm

I've solved my problem - lol...
We're light on work at work at the moment, so I'm gonna whip myself up 2 plastic screw threads, screw 'em in, cut/file the heads off and re-vinyl over it... I'm sure it's not gonna show thru the vinyl - and it's a bit of a spin off of your idea too ofey ;-)

venomcn
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby venomcn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:59 pm

sorry to ask again but is there a actual side mount which works for the slim NSW plates? and what size are they?

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:18 pm

deffinaly has to be side!

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Hey JazzyB,

yeah - the OEM vinyl? It doesn't go to the edges - wtf? who cuts them out? mr "accurate to within 10mm" ?

LOL at your comment, just to let you know the reason the OEM stuff doesnt go near the edges of the front vertical surface is because it is waaaayyy to thick.
I saw it on a dealer car in showroom 6 mo ago and was stunned to see it was 2-3MM thick!!!
That is about as thick as the bottom plastic in those green material shopping bags you can buy to avoid using plastic bags .

That is too thick to bend,mould around corners etc like the vinyl people are getting at sign shops that is more like " thick" contact.

Re number plate location, this is what the WA regs say-

..... where the identification tablet or number plate is duplicated, one is fixed and kept in a conspicuous place in front, and one is fixed and kept in a conspicuous place on the back of the vehicle, in an upright position and so that the characters thereon are clearly visible and legible by day and by night;

So it can be anywhere on front of car, even on drivers side.

Mitsu Aust deciding to put them in the centre on all Lancers regardless was a poor choice if other states have similar regs.

Also the big square holes they cut to then slide in the thread plates was also excessive. The US cars have a thread plate behind a circular hole where the screw goes.

Rear plates on some vehicles like 4WDs etc are often not centred but on 1 side depending on design of tail and spare tyre carriage etc.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:15 am

well said aussie027!!! +1

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:20 am

drake89 wrote:deffinaly has to be side!

looks Awesome Drake,
just how it's supposed to!!

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:00 am

I guess I'm used to the centre position
Doesn't really worry me too much
The side mount does look good,but I have slimline euro style plates so for now centre mounted will be fine for me :wink:
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 am

I wish Drake would take the ZUPPS surround off the plate, although I understand there is a reason. Maybe you could paint the yellow writing black??

US have very different rules about front plates than Australia - in some US states, they don't even have a front plate!
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Return to “Exterior”