***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

FRONT GRILL

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Marc-VRX
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Marc-VRX » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:05 am

Damn, i see what you mean. Worst case scenario, I can always rip it off, and just get a new nose cone piece, which is what I wanted to do originally, just seemed easier to get the dealer to do it for me.

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:56 pm

If your car is black it won't look that bad, you wont even notice the edges, but if it is white, it will stand out.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:08 am

Image URL: http://www.images.clubcj.net/results/20 ... ony002.jpg
BBCode: Image
Here is my attempt at chrome vinyl front grill. I need to clean car and take to a good location to get some descent photos. It is 39 today so it can wait. Tomorrow arvo i am going on MCA cruise, so it can wait to then.
I still have to attach number plate back with Velcro and clean vinyl with a polish. I am going to test some products on offcuts first, as I don't want to stuff vinyl on car. It took me about 2 hours to complete and bubbles kept coming back for 36 hours. So it took a lot of patients to get it right.
I would like peoples opinions on the chrome on champagne? I am still not sure.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Boys and girls, will show you something else you can do with the grilles. Got the other part I needed off Ofey today and will work on the front when it bit cooler in afternoon. A slightly different look that also saves a few kilo's too as parts get replaced with something else. If anyones been over at the MCA forums will already know what I been doing as the top half has already been done.

Will have pictures up later.

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:07 pm

That looks great aspir3.
Can't see any creases at all and the tow hook cover looks nice and round aswell.

So whats the secret, how did you get it looking so good ?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Aspired wrote:That looks great aspir3.
Can't see any creases at all and the tow hook cover looks nice and round aswell.

So whats the secret, how did you get it looking so good ?

There are no creases on the front, but the top side just under the top grill does. the vinyl just does not stretch enough to do it in 1 piece. I just concentrated on the front as you can only see the top if you go up close.
If you do it using 2 pieces, 1 for the front and 1 little strip about 10mm on the top i am confident it would look better as you would have just 1 joint line along the radius of the bumper bar just under top grill.
I am happy enough with the way it turned out, but if someone makes a flat insert to attach between the grills I will get 1 and chrome it. Real chrome will always look better and be more durable

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:19 pm

aspir3 wrote:if someone makes a flat insert to attach between the grills I will get 1 and chrome it. Real chrome will always look better and be more durable

I have been looking for a long time.
RoadRace make a flat bumper cap, but its a Carbon Fibre one(US$189),
so costs a bit more then plastic.

I have been tempted to buy one and see if it can be chromed or even
buy one and take it to a fibreglass place and see if they can copy it in fibreglass.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:27 pm

aspir3 wrote:
Here is my attempt at chrome vinyl front grill... .

Looks VERY VERY well done aspir3! You're really very handy. first the camera idea now deploying this excellently!
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

ysem
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ysem » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:36 am

Aspired wrote:Heres a Bumper Cap which I'm looking at getting. I'd prefer a flat one, but this is all I have found so far. Once I chrome it, it should look good on the black Aspire.

Where can I get that bumper? :shock:

Thanks

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:04 pm

It was a seller on ebay, that is no longer there.
Looking through an old email, it was JC Sportline.
I did a quick search and found their web site, but I also found THIS

ysem
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ysem » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:14 am

Aspired wrote:It was a seller on ebay, that is no longer there.
Looking through an old email, it was JC Sportline.
I did a quick search and found their web site, but I also found THIS

Ok, thank you :wink:

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:18 pm

aspir3 wrote:Image URL: http://www.images.clubcj.net/results/20 ... ony002.jpg
BBCode: Image
Here is my attempt at chrome vinyl front grill. I need to clean car and take to a good location to get some descent photos. It is 39 today so it can wait. Tomorrow arvo i am going on MCA cruise, so it can wait to then.
I still have to attach number plate back with Velcro and clean vinyl with a polish. I am going to test some products on offcuts first, as I don't want to stuff vinyl on car. It took me about 2 hours to complete and bubbles kept coming back for 36 hours. So it took a lot of patients to get it right.
I would like peoples opinions on the chrome on champagne? I am still not sure.

I have been thinking about your delema.

I have the new nokia navigator mobile phone that is champagne with chrome trim. Some of the buttons are a few shades darker champagne. Kind of like a bronze metalic colour. Something for you to think about. I recon something like this on the centre of the bumper and on any other accent areas on body kit parts (If you have any)

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:26 pm

anyone vinyl-ed the bottom bit of their bumper like this car

tried it yesterday, messed up the first time, the curve makes it hard to get the whole thing nicely
Lancer Evolution 10MR

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:03 pm

I have the bottom area blacked out on mine.

Trick I had to do was make 7 evenly spaced out slits in the bottom of the vinyl that goes under the car. The slits then overlap by about 1mm so it's barely noticable unless it's pointed out and you run your hand along under the car.

I did a wet application on my front Vinyls. So sprayed lightly with soapy water, then a hairdryer inconjuction with a firm compressed wool applicator brick to apply pressure all along the vinyl without scratching, so the soapy water comes out the sides with no bubbling.

Process took about 45mins to an hour. The more careful and slow you go the better the result.

Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

Marc-VRX
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Marc-VRX » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:44 pm

Due to my intense laziness, I've been searching online for some pre-cut vinyl overlays fro the front bumper nose cone.

Came across one on bay. There's a couple of different ones available, 1 2 piece and 1 3 piece version. Was thinking of going with the 2 piece, due the fact there would be less visible seams on the bumper.

What you guys think, worth getting or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-09-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Bumper-Overlay-Ralliart-style_W0QQitemZ380132015192QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5881a23c58

Return to “Exterior”