***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Paint Protection - Is it worth it?

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm

hahahaha paint protection....it is just 2 coats of wax, when i used to manage a lexus car wash when we got new cars in off the boat that required "paint protection" where people would pay $2K...all it was over priced bottle of wax...if we ran low we would use meguires

All you need to do is clay, polish, and wax once every 6months and wash your car with lambs wool and 2 buckets and your car will look new after each and every wash

SammyH
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby SammyH » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Get your car wrapped in Clear vinyl that's all i can say mate

TheVeeMachine
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby TheVeeMachine » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 am

Ben wrote:They dont even apply two coats of wax! The whole process goes something like this; first they point behind you and say whats that??? then when you turn to see what it is they steal your wallet from your pants. Then they apply the so called paint protection by getting a fat guy to rub his sweaty body all over your car while everyone in the dealership high fives each other & smokes cigars lit by burning $100 bills from your wallet. 8)

You must be one of these 'cynics' I keep hearing about.

As for my two cents on the topic:-

I believe the majority of people considering paint protection would roughly fall into two categories:
(i) Those who wish to maximise resale value
(ii) Those who want their car to look brand spanking new during ownership (spanking not necessary, though recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists)

If (i), I don't see someone looking at a 4 year old VRX for $13,000 willing to pay 6-15% extra because a car is a little more shiny. Maybe if a car has less scratches and dents than others in its price range, but paint protection will not protect from the ectomorph at Coles casually 'accidentally' defiling your newly acquired $30,000 car with a $200 shopping trolley; although light scratches may be preventable.

In regards to (ii); If someone takes a great amount of pride in their vehicle, I think they are more likely to keep it in better shape, and be willing to clean it more often, using better quality products. So ironically, it should be people who don't take good care of their cars purchasing paint protection (as washes will be few and far between), and those who do, not (as they will attend to keeping their vehicle clean much more often).

Obviously there's opportunity for a huge amount of variance in the above, many factors to be taken into account, YMMV etc.; also, I could be wrong. Hell, I probably am.

Stealthmatt
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Stealthmatt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 am

Thank you all for your advice, I am looking at the opticoat. Its going to cost $500 but I think it will keep it looking nice and easier to maintain for when washing.

byzon3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby byzon3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:51 pm

hey matt,
just quickly,$500 is a fair amount to hand over.

Yes, the car does look good once done and the paint holds up better, but paint protection is not permanent. It wears off.

For under $100 you can buy the product yourself and have plenty left over to do your car multiple times over.

As others have mentioned paint protection is a glorified wax. Yes it does work, but youll be lucky to have any left on your paint after 1 month on your car as a DD and that's being generous.

go to www.carcareproducts.com.au and you can see the range for yourself.
Very simple and easy to do yourself.

I worked in detailing for myself for a couple years and paint sealants was the sole reason I bought a brand new MR evo and not a ralliart.
my 2cents- but please do your research.

Any questions more than happy to help

Damir
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Damir » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:16 pm

carcare are good but damn they like to charge a bit
having clean long lasting paint all comes to your hardwork and dedication rather then 500 dollar kits of liquid wax
personally seeing as my paint is new, whenever i apply a coat of hand wax my paint feels so soft, best feeling
for 500 dollars you could by the whole meguires/mothers range twice
My Build Thread : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14731
ROTM Winner OCTOBER 2015 (Nominated for favourite CJ)
-Australia's first airbagged CJ-

Stealthmatt
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Stealthmatt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:09 pm

yes I could, and I have an evo 9 that iv got all the products... but I am not into detailing anymore. I have been there and done that with wax and clay baring etc.

This opticoat Pro done by a professional detailer apprently lasts years, the site says its unlimited duarbility. I asked the detailer and he said his wife car is parked outside, bird crap, sap and everything and its sitll going strong 3 years later with a high level of neglect (ie never washing it)

And besides im saving $1500 by getting the opti coat - so in my opinion its a win win :D and It will make it easy to keep clean and wash

Damir
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Damir » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 pm

i wish it was that easy
after time no matter how expensive and "highly recommended" your protection is you will still have to clay bar and wax over time
im just here trying to help you invest 500 dollars into something more useful
i have the x factor car protection kit
my mums car is 09 bird crap etc and its still a pain to clean
My Build Thread : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14731

ROTM Winner OCTOBER 2015 (Nominated for favourite CJ)

-Australia's first airbagged CJ-

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:50 pm

TheVeeMachine wrote:[quote:35818dad94=Ben]They dont even apply two coats of wax! The whole process goes something like this; first they point behind you and say whats that??? then when you turn to see what it is they steal your wallet from your pants. Then they apply the so called paint protection by getting a fat guy to rub his sweaty body all over your car while everyone in the dealership high fives each other & smokes cigars lit by burning $100 bills from your wallet. 8)[/quote:35818dad94] You must be one of these cynics I keep hearing about. As for my two cents on the topic:- I believe the majority of people considering paint protection would roughly fall into two categories: (i) Those who wish to maximise resale value (ii) Those who want their car to look brand spanking new during ownership (spanking not necessary, though recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists) If (i), I dont see someone looking at a 4 year old VRX for $13,000 willing to pay 6-15% extra because a car is a little more shiny. Maybe if a car has less scratches and dents than others in its price range, but paint protection will not protect from the ectomorph at Coles casually accidentally defiling your newly acquired $30,000 car with a $200 shopping trolley; although light scratches may be preventable. In regards to (ii); If someone takes a great amount of pride in their vehicle, I think they are more likely to keep it in better shape, and be willing to clean it more often, using better quality products. So ironically, it should be people who dont take good care of their cars purchasing paint protection (as washes will be few and far between), and those who do, not (as they will attend to keeping their vehicle clean much more often). Obviously theres opportunity for a huge amount of variance in the above, many factors to be taken into account, YMMV etc.; also, I could be wrong. Hell, I probably am.

Very good points.

I was going to get paint protection, but never get it from the dealer - all they do is send it to the nearest tint-a-car etc and double the price.

The reason I considered it is, up until a week ago when I got the shits and decided not to drive to work any more for my own sanity, I parked on the street all day every day and so my paint does cop the full brunt of nature. But as you've pointed out, I take care of my car anyway - it gets washed every fortnight and still looks like new 2 years on, and I figured for the cost of a protection product, I could pay for a fully fledged detail every year or two.

But to each their own, we all have different circumstances and there is nothing wrong with buying such a product if you see value in it, as long as you shop around and make sure you aren't getting taken for a ride.

Rodda911
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Rodda911 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 am

hey guys I see that Opti-coat is a hot favourite here... but I was wondering if anyone has heard or get any comments on Toughseal?

The guy I spoke to quoted me $595 for the Opti-coat and $545 for Toughseal..

any advice will be appreciated! :)
Simplicity is the utmost sophistication!

Brice1
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Car paint

Postby Brice1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:39 pm

If you car paint product is good then you need not to worry before washing or cleaning your car. Just need to have an idea which product you have used for painting your car.
https://www.carpaintonline.com/

Sven247
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Sven247 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Bro - is your car new?
I got it on mine , simply cause if it bubbles up then I'm covered!
"Slaves Shall Serve"

"Honourary SA Member #2 "

Tin_Pusher
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Tin_Pusher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:15 pm

You can buy the Toughseal stuff yourself and do it. Mine was done in 2009 and it still looks like new, and bird crap & bugs don't stick. It does have a much better shine and the colour appears deeper than others the same.

First it was their step 1 & 2 pre-treatment and sealant, and since then I've washed the car with their wash & wax (although probably any wash and wax might do).

About every 6 months after a wash I apply their dry wash and shine, which seems to restore the bird and bug repellent action.

http://www.toughseal.com.au

Get yourself a decent set of polishing cloths and pads to do the job.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Step One:

Spend no more than $100 on high-quality car wash, car wax, sponges and polishing/buffing cloths

Wash it well with a mild detergent.

Clay bar the car.

Wash it again with a milder one (water as hot as you can bear).

Dry it in the shade with a good chamois.

Make sure all the door sills, number plate frames and 'fiddly bits' are dry.

Use a high-quality wax (Meguire's, Mother's or similar).

Hand-buff it like a b@stard once it's waxed.

Use a fine water spray to wet the car, and chamois it dry again.

Apply another coat of wax, re-polish and re-buff.

This takes no more than a couple of hours including drinks (though you will sweat a lot and curse my name several times...), it helps to have someone to assist.

From then on, always do a double-wash; hose the loose stuff off thoroughly, wash the dirt off with a mild good-quality car wash (preferably the same brand as your wax), hose off, wash again with a milder solution and rinse thoroughly.

Also, when drying the car, if the bit you haven't got to yet starts to dry (usually the sides of the car), give it a light mist to keep it wet.

Always use one of those 'lambswool' type sponges, not the cheap scratchy ones!

Always use a new, clean waxing cloth, and a separate polishing cloth.

Always remove fallout, bird poo, tree sap etc. ASAP, even if it just the affected bit (I keep a chamois in the car all the time).

Step Two:

Stick the leftover $1900 into your 'mods account' and don't get ripped off by a Dealer.

(I'm reporting mine to the ACCC as soon as the first service is done and the paint chip is fixed...)

:-D

Step Three (optional):

To protect the car interior, simply but mats, seat covers & a dash mat (don't laugh, they really keep the glare down and prevent your dash plastics from ageing).

Any questions, feel free to re-read that lot!

:-)

[i]don't forget - you've already got paint-potection on your car - it's called clear-coat - just use a good quality wax to keep that from oxidising and your car will always look it's best...!

I've won a couple of Show 'n Shines just by following this routine.

Cheers!

(cj-grey) (cj-grey) (cj-grey) (cj-blue) (cj-grey) (cj-grey) (cj-grey)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Return to “Exterior”