***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Windows Tint

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Hmm, I'll be interested to know if you can grab the felty strips. I haven't even hit 1000km yet :(
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

joec
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby joec » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:39 pm

what does the felts look like from the original?
anyway got mine badly scratch on the top of the tip tint.

cant see if the window is wind up so still okay.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:32 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:
milobob wrote:I don't know if that will cause probs.. but I do know it is there for a reason? Sounds dodge?

Same thoughts, but not sure. At the end of the day, my 1500k service (I'm at 1700-ish now) is on monday. I can always ask the mitsu people to place the felty ones ones. :)

Even if it costs. It has to be there for a reason.

I've spoken to teh service guy. The lower inner rubber flap is the main cause of the scratches due to particle accumulation (read: dirt and crap), same as what my tinters also told me. This mainly happens on the thinner (read: cheaper) tint films.

The lower interior flap is hard rubber against the glass as it assists in outside noise reduction. So that's it. It's there for no other reason.

What my tinter has done (basically remove the lower interior flap) is not a "bad" thing but I feel it's a trade off. The mitsu service guy said he was not aware of any straight out flap replacement for the lower interior flap that was felt covered.

so there you go. So at this stage unless someone can give me a part number for felty strips, it's a trade off for scratches or risk of some noise into the cabin. There has been once or twice where I've been driving in the wet and i had that sensation of having the door ajar due to the wet road noise, other than that no increased noise. However I haven't got cheap tint film, I got the decent 3M stuff so do I risk putting the flaps back on? I'll see.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Yea. The 3M tint.. has yet to be scratched. I have glue on the tint though - I suspect the felt might be rolling on the inside (the felt was only applied to the inside of the rubber liner).

On the other than, the Outlander we have has streetlegal tinting (Ming tint or something) and was scratching with the initial felt the car had. They had to change the felt to cover the entire rubber before it stopped scratching.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 am

milobob wrote:Yea. The 3M tint.. has yet to be scratched. I have glue on the tint though - I suspect the felt might be rolling on the inside (the felt was only applied to the inside of the rubber liner).

On the other than, the Outlander we have has streetlegal tinting (Ming tint or something) and was scratching with the initial felt the car had. They had to change the felt to cover the entire rubber before it stopped scratching.

So are you saying they glued felt onto the rubber flap? Sounds a bit bodge? A bit like mine being removed. Sounds like no easy proper solution for the Lancers.

Jmi

Postby Jmi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 am

I've been advised by a tinter that when felts are put in, the glue will melt and will get on the tint, esp during summer.

What he did mentioned was he had a customer who also owns a cj but she had her rubber liner replaced at the dealer. I did rang up but they told me there was no such thing. At that point, I gave up totally the idea of tinting.

I didn't want the liner cut, nor could I find the liner to replace. I didn't want to go ahead with the tint with felt as i did not want the glue to melt and stain the tint. Moleskin is the last option, but I reached the point I can't be bothered with it anymore. :p

Tin_Pusher
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Tin_Pusher » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:06 pm

I've had my front doors done by Tint-a-car, who told me they routinely put in a strip of felt, because the one (if any) in vehicles isn't usually adequate to stop scratching.

The stuff I saw them use was about 20mm wide and adhesive backed i.e. they peel off the backing tape and stick it over the inner strip (over the felt if any). How they do that I didn't hang around to see.

Seems to have worked fine so far with my MY10 (touch wood). Also my old CE Lancer was done by them, and after 11 years no scratches.

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:28 pm

can you guys post up pics of your car and what % tint you got :) I'll be getting tints done soon.. just not sure how dark i want to go and which tint would be the closes match to the privacy glass in terms of darkness..

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:33 pm

I believe the front are 30% and the rears are clear!

http://www.images.clubcj.net/results/20 ... car006.jpg

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:34 pm

I have 35% on my front windows and 25% or 20% on the back. Cant really tell much of a difference...

Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:40 pm

35% Bolle brand $450 lifetime warranty

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:03 am

I got 20% on the front side windows to match the privacy glass. 3M film, $100 cash in hand, no questions, no receipt. The tinters don't want any
trouble. Which is fine I guess.
The only downside is 20% can a bit dark for dimly lit suburban streets, so have to have your wits when turning into a street and watch for pedestrians or cyclists with no hi-visibility anything. :(
As long as you're aware of the limitations, you compensate for it accordingly by being extra bit careful.

http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_mod&image_id=1477
http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_mod&image_id=1480
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:04 am

I am glad, somewhat, that mine is an ES... my tint is even all around and although the image looks dark, it is in fact quite easy to see through at night.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 am

I wish the Aspire's did not come with privacy glass. I would have tinted the windows with a silver/metalic looking tint. I shink it would look good with the champagne!

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:12 am

aspir3, that would be off-the-charts! It would look like precious metal rolling down the road!

Return to “Interior”