CJ08
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby CJ08 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Count me in. Can't wait for an arm rest lol

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue May 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Hey jazzy, it looks like you got alot of support for this. Can you get any more pics of your design? Possibly a couple of different variations of styles?

I suggest you get at least 1 made up for yourself, and i can come round and comment on the quality then maybe steal it off you etc :P. Then we can post up some high def pics for other members with it fitted to the stock center console. From there, we can start making a list of who is willing to pay for one of these and we can start a group buy...
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

asHxP
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby asHxP » Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Oh btw i was looking at it again.. not being nasty or anything but I think it would look a bit better if it was slightly slimmer in height.. looks a bit chunky atm.. but nevertheless better than having my console as a hole

Cordi
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Cordi » Tue May 26, 2009 9:06 pm

awesome thought jazzy, would def. be in for this, realy over jus have some little gaping hole..need armrest!..keep posting info!

peace

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Thu May 28, 2009 8:46 am

Sorta tadz... that's sorta how it'll work...
I gotta make a prototype before producing lots...
BUT... producing lots of variations means ALL custom, very expensive... LOTS more work and time would need to be put into it (it's taking this long to get 1 going, it'll take almost as long for each design change, whereas reproducing the same part after a prototype has been made will only take a few hrs ;-) ) It'd would be great for you to check and make comments on the console after the prototype's done tho tadz- I'd prefer ppl get a few perspectives on it rather than just mine!

Slimmer height... hmm... get a tape measure and hold it above your console, the total height of the lid is around 75-80mm... I think any shorter would be kinda... to short! I think the VR/VRX console is around this height, but don't have one - so I'm not too sure, but if it DOES come out looking chunky, I'll be squashing the design a bit and making another one, don't need it to be a big chunky feature, just a useful console ;-)

I think it looks chunkier in the pics than it actually will be, i think it's only an illusion cos half the interior is missing!

I'll keep you's updated - thanks for the support! if enough ppl ALL want certain changes I can make them , or if individuals want to pay for individual customisations, it's doable too! just have to understand that it's going to cost more if u want a completely different lid to everyone else!

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 am

Well either way it will turn out good.

When do you think you will make a prototype?

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Thu May 28, 2009 11:04 am

spoke to the boss....
Not this week... lol - hopefully within a fortnight, I'm itching for it too!

asHxP
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby asHxP » Thu May 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Ok I agree about the pictures making it look chunky bit. We'll see what the prototype looks like yeh. Despite that its better than what I can come up with lol

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Fri May 29, 2009 11:12 am

U were totally right tho - I just rechecked the pics, they're taken on angles that make it look chunky - when I was flipping it around while I was actually designing it it looks much better.... I shoulda taken a front/side/top pics or something...
But regardless... I'll have some good pics or even a video of the prototype within the coming weeks hopefully - u can decide for yourself then if it's chunky ;-)

I'll definately make it slimmer if it's not that sightly ;-) and I won't take offence to comments! if u think it's poxy as, PLEASE let me know!

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Fri May 29, 2009 12:11 pm

OOOOOOH BOY!!!!

Just got off the phone with a 3D printing joint (if u don't know about 3D printing, look it up - it's DA F'ING BOMB!!!!)

They want to provide me with a sample part, so I can test out their printers (in the hope I will buy one...) so they've asked me for a model that I'd like printed :-)

Guess what I chose!
I'll hopefully be fast-tracking this a bit by getting a rapid prototype made up ;-) Gotta work out details with the guy soon... this is exciting :-) First time I've had a prototype 3D printed!

Updates tonight hopefully ppl ;-)

3D rapid prototyping technology vid for those who r interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3gHHeD6cv8&feature=related

P.s. - this is sped up a bit.... the actual process will take 'em half a day or so ;-) and usually ain't cheap - but for free, can't knock it back!!!

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 pm

SICK JAZZY!

ive heard of that 3D printing. It is the shit.

Looking forward to it man

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Sun May 31, 2009 11:42 pm

I would be highly interested in purchasing one of these :)

Couldn't believe that my ES didn't come with an arm rest (centre console lid). Pretty much have to take anything of value out of the storage because thieves can see exactly what you have in there.

Keep us updated! Great job so far.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKDVVb2b ... re=related

the 3D printer I've seen at a medical design facility in Sydney is more like the one in the above link. Ie directly makes it out of plastic, not resin...

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:54 am

That one looks great! looks like it'b be quicker actually... but I've only ever seen the other type at trade exhibitions...

I didn't actually listen to the audio in that vid, the type I've seen uses tiny plastic pellets and lays out a layer, then laser-sinters a layer of pellets at a time, only melting together pellets that make up the shape of the object... at the end, all loose pellets are brushed away and the part is taken from the middle - basically a compilation of tiny welded-together plastic pellets... Depending on the parent material, it can be very strong, flexible, clear, opaque - just depends what pellets you have... VERY versatile...

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:58 am

cyssero - I agree! who makes a car with TCS, ACS, and about 100 other abbreviated electronic systems on it, offers a multimedia communications gps multi-everything thinga-majig...

AND DOESN'T PUT A CONSOLE LID!!!!
It's like having a car without a boot - wtf? unless it's a race-car, what's the point?!
And the ES if anything is a family model! (not mine tho - infact, forget I said that :-P)

Return to “Interior”