Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 am

My recollection is as follows:

TOG part number CT-2392
has a plastic frame surrounding an inner filter section that looks like the pix shown above.
We simply removed the frame and the filter fitted the later model airbox.
It certainly did not fit with the frame in place.

Perhaps this is where the confusion is arising from.

And if that top pix is a RYCO filter, my guess is that will do just fine as is from a filtering and power point of view. RYCO have been making great filters since forever.

POD filters aside, the K&N oiled panel filter is the only filter I have ever felt/measured the power going backwards when tuning the normally aspirated CJ Lancer. All the others, including the stock filter, have been good. The Cosworth and TOG do seem to be a bit better than stock, which does not surprise me. The Cosworth filter material is the same as is used on the EVO filter elements.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Both of those pictures are Ryco filters pictures straight from Ryco. The CT-2392 without that frame can kind of be pushed inside the air filter box, but it does not fit or seal! I know this because I bought that exact filter and learnt the hard way! There is too much gap around the filter where air can just pass.

The other factor is the outside rim of the filter. The outside rim fits a neat seal around the outside of one side of the air filter box. So, where the TOG if pushed in there can flop around and has big air gaps no matter what you do, the K&N 33-3015 will fully seal the same side with its rubber lip and the other side of the box fits neatly over it like it does with the stock filter. I think i even tried closing it with the TOG in there, and without that outer lip rubber seal the box definitely wasn't air tight.

The lip I'm talking about can be seen in the second pic of that post, however that side of the filter is the exit side, the entry side sticks out further and is on the other side. The lip is much more obvious there. You can clearly see this seal lip on the K&N from the inlet side.

K&N 33-3015 filter:

That is the entry side shown of the K&N for the late model Lancers. The filter entry side (side shown) pushes inside the right side of air filter box, the rubber lip actually pushes up against the whole outside of the box. Without this seal, due to the box design you will be sucking in unfiltered engine bay air as well as the unfiltered air getting passed the filter you shoved inside the box if trying to use a pre 2012 MY13 filter.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”