***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New Member - Craig from Caloundra

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

my14Evo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby my14Evo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Also it's starting to sound like you have warped front disc rotors. Hard to diagnose unless I drive it but.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Maybe it's the disc also but what ever the cause after less than a week of owning it the extended warranty I paid for should cover it, especially considering I noticed the vibration on the test drive and told the sales person.

Anyone who has driven the car at 100km/h should have known something was wrong.

Here is a short video, unfortunately it's not very clear but there is a vibration on the wheel when I brake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfeIxGUZEHs

Now who wants to lay odds the Cricks dealer will blame the discs and say it's not included under the warranty? Or blame the wheels also and not pay for them to be replaced.

Easiest test is to get another CJ, swap the wheels and test drive both cars. BTW will the 16" wheels fit the VRX, or does it have bigger brakes?
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

my14Evo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby my14Evo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Ahhhh...you said the magic word.....Cricks.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Don't tell me...
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:07 pm

my14Evo wrote:Ahhhh...you said the magic word.....Cricks.

Exactly what I was going to say... you can read my adventure with them and my new ralliart on here, not too mention the mess of the paint they did that I just had fixed this weekend gone...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Well at least I have this gem to drive around in while they 'fix' the wheels.

Yes the sales guy said they will try and fix the bent wheels, so doesn't that normally mean sending them back to the factory? How much will that cost them, and how long will it take given Christmas is only a week away? Would probably be cheaper to pony up $800 for a new set of the wheels I posted earlier.

I get the feeling they just wanted another sale and another loan on their books before the new year and hoped I wouldn't notice the vibration.

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:55 pm

hopefully they will fix it nothing like buying a car and having something wrong with it after u bought it
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Stupid thing is the vibration was there before I bought it, I was told it would be taken care of before delivery, the sales guy didn't pass this on or their so called pre-deliver road worthy checks are worthless. Anyone who drove it at 100km/h would have felt it and touching the brakes at 100 send more vibrations through the steering.

The whole point of buying a new(ish) car was to have no mechanical or other expenses apart form the usual running costs, might have been better to spend the time and money to drop the 4G93p into my CC coupe!

To change the topic and hopefully better thoughts (when I can afford it) how easy is it to upgrade the audio. My VRX has the usual phone and other controls on the steering but no sub in the boot. Does the RF amp/sub just pug into the standard (6 disc) unit? Also how easy is it to upgrade to a proper screen which GPS and revers cam (parking sensors) can be added to later?

Is there a thread on this?
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:53 pm

If you're getting dramatic steering wheel vibration when you hit the brakes, your rotors are warped.

The 'wheel imbalance' can be caused by the warped rotor; as the rotor spins, the 'high' point kisses the brake pad and drags on the root, which momentarily slows the wheel and causes the slowed wheel to pull the vehicle over to that side ever so slightly - this feels just like an unbalanced wheel...

You can balance the wheels until the cows come home, but until the rotors are machined, the problem will persist.

Luckily, machining rotors is fairly cheap - about $90 a pair! :-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Oh, and to increase your choice of wheels, go to:

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Mitsubis ... 008%20-%20)/

and you can see other vehicles' wheel that will suit... :-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:06 pm

From what Bob Jane said this morning (they much be getting sick of seeing me LOL) the wheels do have a problem but you are right they said there might be a rotor issue as well.

I would hope any brake issues like this are covered by the warranty, checked it and there is no specific exclusions for them. I do understand brake pads are a consumable but rotors should last much longer. Maybe they will just chuck on some new factor rotors to fix the issue? Maybe they could do a RA upgrade and paint the calipers yellow while they are at it!

Don't like how they said they will 'fix' the wheels, if that was possible wouldn't Bob Jane mention it?

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:30 pm

The 'shaking on braking' is a dead giveaway - did you mention this to the Dealer or Bob Jane? (to be honest, I have zero faith in them).

If the wheel has a bent rim, it can be rolled back into shape, if the spokes are bent, it's a throwaway...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:12 pm

Yes and yes, I told both this morning as before I had not taken the car for a decent test and normally from 100 I'd just back off an not touch the brakes until it's dropped to 80 or less. It was only by chance I felt the vibration under brakes.

I'm 100% sure there is a wheel issue, BJ had it on there balancing machine and off the car and could see it. The spokes are fairly thick (photo on first page) you can't see much of the brakes behind the chrome.

Right now I trust Bob Jane more than Cricks. Maybe they were hoping I'd just go out and buy some other wheels before noticing a problem. Then again if the discs are also at fault then it doesn't mater what wheel are on the car we'll still have some vibration, especially under braking at 100km/h.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:59 pm

UPDATE - so I spoke to the Cricks Wises service center, after getting the run around as to where the frac my car was. In the end I found it's back at Caloundra and magically it's the tires that are the issue, Bob Jane laughed at that idea. Yes one of the items NOT covered by the warrant is the faulty item. Tired calling them but the sales guy is not around and was told that he will call me.

Till waiting to see if I'll have to pony up $600 for the new types that probably have nothing wrong with them. I do wonder what will happen is they check some on and it still has an issue and if they will get Bib Jane who is just next door to do the work.

UPDATE 2 - just spoke to Cricks Caloundra and they said they don't have my CJ, want the &*%(*&%!

UPDATE 3 - it's at Cricks Caloundra, it's there, how the frac do you loose a big black Lancer?

Anyway the sales guy had no idea on what was found so now I'm forced to wait until the morning and wait for them to call me back. Best case they pay for 4 new rubber things and it's fixed. Even better would be them paying the cost and I kick in some more for a better brand... if that fixes the problem.

I just found this thread which sounds similar to my issues.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2013995

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:48 am

Okay I should be getting my CJ back this morning and want to hook up my dash cam, before I just had the power lead hooked over the mirror and dropping strait down, And previously in the CC I took off the A pillar cover but I don't want to disturb the airbag in the CJ so options please, what have others done?

Can you in fact rig up power to come directly from the lights near the mirror and have a very short USB lead to the camera?

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”